Chronicle Athletes of the Week

Erin Kerner

Sport: Basketball
Class: Freshman
Hometown: Erie, Pa.
Major: International Business

Prior to the 2005-2006 women’s basketball season, head coach Tricia Sacca-Fabbri set a goal to take the program to the next level. Recruiting what has proven to be the best freshmen class in school history was a huge step toward that goal.

Erin Kerner, one of the gems of this year’s rookie class, hasn’t played much like a freshman this season. Certainly not after her 20-point, five assist performance that lifted the Bobcats to a 61-54 outlasting of conference foe St. Francis N.Y. on Jan. 28.

The 5-foot-8 guard also grabbed five boards and picked up a pair of rejections in what was essentially her coming out party. Kerner implemented a relentless offensive attack, scoring nine consecutive points during one stretch.

Every time the Terriers tried to cut the deficit, the nerveless newcomer answered right back. Following a 9-2 Terrier spurt with under three minutes to play in regulation, the ‘Cats responded by reeling off a 7-0 run that was concluded by Kerner’s 3-point play.

The Mercyhurst prep product picked the perfect time for a career day, as the win catapulted the Bobcats (7-1 in the NEC, 12-5 overall) to second place in the NEC.

Kerner is averaging 11.0 points along with a team-leading 60 assists. She’s a perfect complement to stud forward Monique Lee (16.6 PPG, 9.7 RPG).

Her high-octane style of play has helped set the tone for a young Bobcat squad that’s apparently forgotten how to lose lately. The team has won four straight and is peaking at the right time.

Adam Gonzalez

Sport: Basketball
Class: Junior
Hometown: Bronx, N.Y.
Major: Undeclared

When an NEC program lands a former JUCO All-American, there tends to be some hype brewing around campus before the season.

Adam Gonzalez, who starred at Lackawanna Junior College and Cecil Community College before transferring to Quinnipiac this year, has certainly lived up to expectations on the hardwood this winter.

The 6-foot-3, 175-pound floor general came into his own last week, as the Bobcats captured two pivotal home victories over conference foes Long Island and Mount St. Mary’s.

Against the Blackbirds, Gonzalez buried a trio of 3-pointers in the first half as the ‘Cats got off to a hot start. He finished with 15 points and a game-high eight assists, helping propel the Bobcats to an 82-69 victory that was televised on the MSG Network.

On Thursday evening against the Mountaineers, Gonzalez scored 10 points and dished out a game-high six assists. He knocked down a pair of free throws with three ticks remaining, icing the 68-62 victory.

In both victories, the Bobcats displayed crisp ball movement and never hesitated to make that extra pass, which typically resulted in an easy bucket. The heady point guard delivered plenty of eye-popping passes to add to the highlight reel.

The jump to Division I basketball has been straight forward for Gonzalez, who plays with the savvy of a prototypical New York guard.

Gonzalez is one-third of the dynamic group of newcomers from the aforementioned Cecil Community College. Chris Wehye and Victor Akinyanju, the team’s top big men, round out this trio.