All majors created equal

Majoring in the School of Communications is a waste of time and money. This is a statement that communications majors hear all the time. However, that’s simply not true.

The bashing of all other majors seems to peak during times of high stress, like right now, for example, during mid-terms.

Non-health science students are often looked down upon. I’ve been told by my own roommate that I will not be able to get a job after graduation. This kind of negativity goes across the board — not just for people in the School of Communications. Students in just about any major, including the School of Business and the College of Arts and Sciences, are also commonly knocked.

As a communications major, I’ve had this discussion with many other students who share similar feelings and experiences of being targeted, ridiculed and intentionally put-down by someone in health sciences who, for some reason, thought they were superior to them.

Here’s a newsflash: no major is better or worse than another.

And this certainly does not mean everyone who is in health sciences behaves this way. There are plenty of students who don’t and I highly respect them for that. The focus here is only on those who seem to think they are much more intelligent than the rest of their class, just because they can memorize all the bones and muscles of the human body.

Anatomy is hard. Health sciences are hard, but this does not mean students with this major are any more intelligent than someone who’s majoring in history, finance or public relations.

Every year, a class of several hundred students is admitted to Quinnipiac University. Why were these students chosen? In most cases, it is because the newly admitted student body share the same level of intelligence.

Quinnipiac’s “Admissions Requirements” section on its website states: “On average, students gaining admission have a B or stronger average (average GPA of 3.3) in high school with an SAT score range of 1080 to 1240 representing the 25th to the 75th percentile of the incoming class.”

A SAT score range of 1080-1240. Does that sound stupid to you?

There is not a higher GPA or SAT standard exclusively for health science majors. They all fall into the aforementioned score range. Therefore, a health science major is just as smart as a Spanish or psychology major.

This sounds so elementary, but maybe it should be pointed out that there are many different kinds of intelligence. Some students are pure genius when it comes to memorization of terms, while others are able to write a research paper without wanting to have a mental breakdown.

Yet many students with majors outside of health sciences find themselves being called lazy, dumb or accused of never having any work.

There are countless communications, business or arts and science students who spend hours studying at the library late into the night. There are people who work so hard on a form of student media, whether it’s the newspaper or not, that it could legitimately be considered the equivalent of an unpaid internship.

But, yes, there are also students in these majors who do the bare minimum to get by. They don’t get involved and don’t study for quizzes or take on extra credit opportunities. But there will always be some people who take the easy way out when it comes to their school work and this includes anyone of any major—including health sciences.

One major is not better than another and everyone at this university needs to stop judging each other based on their job aspirations. We are all intelligent people, but we all need a reality check.

We need to start taking each other more seriously instead of trying so hard to knock each other down.