Coach takes it to next level

Quinnipiac University field hockey coach Becca Kohli has been selected by her peers as First Vice President of the National Field Hockey Coaches Association.

In a professional sense Kohli said winning this position ultimately makes her job as a coach easier “by getting the Quinnipiac field hockey program’s name out, will help me when I am recruiting because more people will know about our program and I will be more informed about other schools programs.”

Kohli also won a four-time Coach of the Year award and three-time Northeast Conference Coach of the year. Kohli is entering her 10th season as the head coach of the field hockey program here at Quinnipiac with a 78-81 overall career record. Over the years Kohli has coached 46 All-Conference players, seven Mideast Region All-Americans, three Northeast Conference Players of the Year, three NEC tournament MVP’s and three North-South Senior Bowl participants.

Kohli built the Quinnipiac program from scratch and has turned it into one of the best in the Northeast, ultimately establishing the program as one of the leaders in the Northeast Conference. Since 1998 when the Bobcats decided to move up to the Division I level, they have qualified for the NCAA tournament twice. In 2002 Kohli guided the Bobcats to a perfect 11-0 mark in the NEC conference also the first time in league history that a team closed the regular season undefeated.

“I think it is my age group

and my era’s time to step up and start lobbying for change. Being in the position of First Vice President of the National Field Hockey Coaches Association will give me a good ability to make changes not only to the Quinnipiac field hockey program but the field hockey program as a whole,” said Kohli.

As a 1994 graduate of Penn State earning Mideast Regional All-American status three times, as well as The Big Ten Conference “Defensive Player of the Year” recipient in 1993, Kohli is a natural born leader. Kohli also competed on the 1994 bronze medal- winning U.S. National Elite Team at the world cup.