Fahrenheit 9/11: American freedom at its best

With the recent release of the Michael Moore’s documentary Fahrenheit 9/11 on DVD, now is a good time to once again bring up the importance of this film.

Millions of Americans have their opinion about Michael Moore. Republicans cannot find enough synonyms of the word hate to put in front of his name and Democrats might either erect a statue in honor of him in front of the Kerry White House or they could add to the list of synonyms depending on the outcome of the election.

Four months ago the film was released to critical raves and the public came out in record numbers to see the film. It is the highest grossing documentary of all-time and in some cases, did help voters make up their mind. During my screening on opening night, the film received a standing ovation, like it did most places it screened.

But although the movie has done incredibly well box-office wise, there is a deluge of people who believe that Michael Moore hates America. Moore felt very passionately about doing anything in his power to bring down the Bush administration so he decided to make a movie about the connections between the Bush family and the terrorists that he is now trying so hard to defeat. My question is what is so wrong with that?

Last I checked in this country we had a freedom of speech and expression and a freedom of the press. Moore simply took his opinions and put them on film with carefully studied and investigated facts to prove his points. Now there are people in the Bush administration who say that the information in the film are false, but not a single one of these people have been able to what those false facts are. In fact, not a single one of them can admit to have seeing the movie. How can these people say that there is made up information in it when they have yet to see it? This is exactly what Moore was trying to say in his documentary. This current administration is corrupt beyond words and will do anything to make accusations and point fingers at other people for their screw ups.

John McCain called him a “disingenuous filmmaker” at the Republican Convention. After that line the crowd at Madison Square Garden rose to their feet in applause and chanted “Four More Years” proudly; Moore, who was in attendance smiled back and simply responded with “Two more months.” This calm and confident attitude is why so many people do not like Moore and it just proves how the Bush administration have poisoned many people of this country into not appreciating the American freedom that we are trying to instill into other countries without asking them if they care to have it.

The people who hate Moore for sharing information with the public for the simple cause of the removal of President Bush is what America is about. In Iraq or Saudi Arabia or North Korea, Moore probably would have been killed for lashing out against the powers in charge. But here in America he has the freedom to do it and be proud that he did it. The Bush administration is trying to quiet him and make him out to be an enemy for the entire country. I say that the people who have managed to not be a victim of the Bush administration terrorism should all go out and buy their own copies of Fahrenheit 9/11 and keep it to show our kids and our grandkids the greatest example of American freedom ever created.