Don’t dismiss Greek ideals

I remember the first time I told my parents I was interested in Greek life. I spoke to them over the phone and after a few minutes of discussing it, they said they would support me as long as I didn’t become an infamous YouTube sensation by humiliating myself. (I haven’t.)

It’s been two years since I rushed a fraternity, and I can honestly say it is one of the best decisions I made at school.

I thought Greek life was something right out of “Animal House.” I thought the common frat life was filled with alcohol, hazing and embarrassment. The way it’s pictured in the movies and TV shows, it’s common to think that from the outside.

But Greek life isn’t about that at all. Fraternities and sororities weren’t founded upon drinking and partying. Greek life is about being part of something bigger than yourself. It allows you to work in a group dynamic. It’s about meeting new people, making lifelong friendships, opening doors and broadening horizons.

With Greek life comes opportunity. From each fraternity and sorority to the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council, there are numerous opportunities to become leaders and get involved. It allows you to do what you may not have done on your own, community service included.

Greek life allows you to meet people you never thought you would meet. There is no stereotype for the average person in Greek life. The Greek community here is incredibly diverse, and no matter who you are, if you want to find another sense of belonging, you will find it.

Here at Quinnipiac, Greek life is, without a doubt, on a constant rise. More and more organizations are coming onto campus because there is a heightened interest in Greek life. With the addition of Delta Upsilon, there are now 13 Greek organizations on campus.

Each fraternity and sorority has its own set of values. There is no “best” organization on campus. When looking at it, focus on what is best for you. Visit each one and talk to as many people as possible in each so you can get an idea of what each is like and find the one that fits you best.

I have a very small immediate family: just my mom, dad and little sister. I have two grandparents. I don’t have any first cousins. There’s nothing more important than family.

But here I have a second family: a group of more than 60 active brothers who I can lean on anytime and anywhere, and many more alumni who helped me get better acclimated with the university in the time I spent with them. I live with four brothers now, and I can’t say enough about them. I’ve opened up to those people and the rest of my brothers in ways I never thought I could. No matter what happens, you share an unbreakable bond with the people you call your brothers or sisters. Nobody can take that away.

I’ve also grown tremendously through Greek life and I don’t know where I’d be had I not gone Greek. I’ve learned how to better understand where different people come from and how to accept people’s differences. I’ve become more aware of what happens on campus. I’ve understood that groups are only as strong as their weakest link and that every individual to a group is imperative. I’ve learned it is essential in a group dynamic to work together and everyone needs to support one another.

The values Greek life teaches are endless. Going Greek has enabled me to hold myself accountable for my actions and learn from everything. I’ve been able to push myself further than I ever thought I could. It’s made me more driven.

Greek life may not be for everyone, and that’s OK. But realize it isn’t anything like what the movies portray it as. Not everyone in Greek life is like John Belushi, and there are people that benefit from it.

I certainly have.