Editor’s office

In probably the biggest BCS game of the weekend, the University of Miami traveled to Blacksburg to take on Virginia Tech. Miami, previously undefeated on the season would almost be guaranteed a BCS bowl game bid with a win. The Hokies, coming off an embarrassing loss to unranked West Virginia, were looking to get their momentum back against a long time Big East rival. The Hokies were able to jump out to an impressive 31-0 lead before the Hurricanes scored a meaningless touchdown in the fourth quarter. Two impressive stats of the game; Virginia Tech only completed two of its eight pass attempts as a team and they only scored two offensive touchdowns. Miami pulled quarterback Brock Berlin in favor of Derrick Crudup after Berlin threw two interceptions. The Big East title and its accompanying BCS bowl game bid looks up for grabs again…For the first time all season, no ranked team lost to an unranked opponent. Despite this, six ranked teams did lose to other ranked schools. In those six games between ranked schools, only two of the higher ranked teams won, No. 1 Oklahoma against No. 15 Oklahoma State and No. 3 USC against No. 6 Washington State. Those just might be the two teams we see in the Sugar Bowl playing for the National Championship in January…Despite Notre Dames loss to Boston College two weeks ago, they showed flashes of playing better in the second half. Instead of riding that wave back home to South Bend and playing tough against the No. 5 Florida State Seminoles, they rolled over and got buried 37-0. Quarterback Chris Rix had 327 yards passing for the Seminoles and the Florida State defense continued to show their dominance as they held the Fighting Irish to 3.9 yards per play while intercepting Irish quarterback Brady Quinn three times. Maybe Notre Dame should consider taking the ‘Fighting’ out of their nickname…The scoring leader in the country?? Not Larry Fitzgerald of Pittsburgh, Chris Perry of Michigan, or Tatum Bell of Oklahoma State. Its little known junior running back Jamaal Branch of Colgate who leads all of division 1 football with 120 points scored. He has 20 rushing touchdowns and has 1,496 yards rushing through nine games. He ran for four yards in the first game of the season against Georgetown and since has run for over 170 yards in a game seven times. At 6′, 209 pounds, look for his name to appear somewhere in the 2004 NFL draft…