Women’s tennis plays well in tournament

Despite a cool and overcast autumn day, the excitement of the women’s tennis team would not be denied.

The Bobcats were ready for action as they hosted the seventh annual Quinnipiac Invitational Tournament this past weekend.

After taking 15 out of 16 matches

the previous weekend at the Binghamton Invitational Tournament, the team carried on with its momentum, winning five out of six singles matches on Friday.

“That performance was beyond my expectations,” said Head Coach Mike Quitko in regards to his team’s performance at the Binghamton Invitational.

Senior co-captain Kimberly Piazza, of North Haven, Connecticut, got the tourney started off on the right foot by defeating freshman Jenna Kafferly of the University of New Hampshire.

Her convincing 6-1, 6-3 onslaught was Piazza’s 91st career victory. She is currently ninth overall on the all-time women’s tennis wins list.

“This year she is playing intelligently, like a senior should play. The only problem is that after this year she is gone,” said Quitko.

Periodically, he would pep talk his star just to make sure she was focused.

“She has to finish the match and then I will say she had a good performance,” said Quitko. With the easy victory, it is hard to say Piazza was not in her zone.

Other winners included Elizabeth Axler and Heather Rahm. Axler defeated Seton Hall opponent Lorell Zamot 6-3, 6-7 (4), 10-6, while Rahm defeated Christi Lazar of the University of Connecticut, 6-3, 6-1.

Axler commented on the team chemistry as a vital part of winning.

“The team feeds off each other, thus a string of win streaks has approached the team. We have good team bonding,” said Axler.

Junior Katherine Ehle, of Marshfield, Massachusetts said, “We are very confident and strong going into our matches and our team has a really good chance this year.”

Coach Quitko’s feelings on his ladies are not far off from the players’ perspective. “What I love about them is that they have fun and laugh,” said Quitko.

Despite all the winning the Bobcats have been doing, Coach Quitko’s number one focus is not winning.

“I am more worried about learning at this stage in the season. Winning is not important until April,” said Quitko.

Fabian Villacis, a member of the men’s tennis team, is very confident in his female counterparts.

“[They are] looking strong as they always have been and always do. They have a chance to win the NEC and it will most likely happen,” said Villacis.

After witnessing the team’s performance on Friday, winning the Northeast Conference does not seem impossible for the Bobcats, but would still be a feat among itself.

For a complete recap of all the matches played Saturday and Sunday at the Quinnipiac Invitational, visit www.Quinnipiacbobcats.com.