Lover Optional:

Amidst the dozens of red roses, conversation hearts and sappy poetry stands a group of unattached singletons.

For those not be spending Valentine’s Day swooning in puppy love, here are some ideas for a fabulous fourteenth.

For the females, one idea is to simply have a girls night. Stay home, rent some chick flicks, take cheesy magazine quizzes, hang out in pajamas and be thankful to not have to be forced into a tight dress and strappy heels for a night.

“[I’ll be] sitting in my room and eating a tub of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream,” said Danielle Turner, freshman. “It’s a Hallmark holiday.”

Denise Fioretti, freshman, said she has chosen to see a movie “with the girls” on Valentine’s night.

Then there are those who choose to act positively, literally.

“I’m single; I don’t appreciate Valentine’s Day,” said Kristin Martin, sophomore.

“We have a show on the 15th,” she said about an upcoming performance of the ‘Vagina Monologues. “There’s nothing better to talk about [around] Valentine’s Day than sex.”

The single gentlemen can also have a fun night. Sit back with the tube, some video games and a stack of favorite dirty magazines.

Then, have a pizza-eating contest, and see who can come up with the most stomach-churning concoctions and actually drink them.

Another favorite is chugging Tabasco sauce and lemon juice for points.

“That’s definitely something that’s better [to do] when the girls aren’t around,” said Scott Appleby, sophomore.

If spending a night on the town is more appealing, go out with pals and talk about all the reasons being single is so fabulous.

Go to a club and check out all the available hotties. Make a vow to flirt with as many people as possible. See who can get the most phone numbers.

Spend all the money that would have been spent on a loved one. Have a shopping spree, get a massage or go out with close friends to a five-star restaurant.

At the other end of the spectrum, for those who have been visited by Cupid, the holiday may have a more positive significance.

“[Valentine’s Day] is a very special time if you have a loved one,” said Jonathan Berger, freshman.

There are still alternatives, however, to the traditional date night.

Turn up the heat. “Make your own candlelight dinner,” said Meagan Macmenamie, freshman.

Plan a menu and go food shopping together. Then, whip up a romantic feast for two.

Spread a picnic blanket on the floor, play some soft music and light scented candles to set the mood. It’s best to do this indoors, unless snow pants are a turn on!

Another idea is to get down and dirty in the kitchen.

Bake cookies from scratch, and use heart-shaped cookie cutters.

Then, decorate the goodies with colored icing, sprinkles and red hot candies. Enjoy the creations for dessert after a homemade, store-bought or restaurant dinner.

For a more high-class time, get dressed up and eat dinner at a fine restaurant.

Order for each other, share spoonfuls and pretend to be a celebrity couple out on the town.

“We pick a place and have dinner [there] to celebrate. Afterwards, we exchange gifts,” said Mark Thompson Ph.D, Dean, School of Business, married almost 15 years.

Feeling adventurous? Crash a wedding, go to the zoo or the aquarium or to New York City.

“One Valentine’s Day we skipped school and went snowboarding,” said Laura Kilroy, freshman.

Although a more laid-back idea, get tickets to see a show, or even a movie.

Better yet, rent a few good flicks and just relax. Cuddle up and realize its alright to stay home.

“We like to spend it alone, with each other. In front of the fire, with a cup of coffee and the cat and dog,” said Barbara Baker, administrative assistant.

Others don’t feel that the holiday has much significance.

“I don’t really believe in it. People should be nice 365 days a year,” said Leslie Hunter, administrative assistant, school of business, married for 23 years.

Thompson realizes the underlying meaning of the holiday is more important than planning activities. “The most important part is recognizing the strength of the relationship. We can do that without gifts and dinner,” he said.