Farmer’s Market brings students closer to their food

The Farmers Market returned to Bobcat Way Lawn Sept. 6, and will continue through September. The event, sponsored by QU Sustainability, provided students and faculty with a festive atmosphere where they could enjoy plenty of free samples, as well as the opportunity to learn about the benefits of buying local produce.

“The goal of the Farmers Market is to get students to become closer to their food so they can support local businesses and the economy,” Professor Kristen Richardson, the sustainability committee leader, said.

The market features eight local vendors that will come to Quinnipiac every Thursday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. This includes local farmers like Farmer Joe’s Gardens in Wallingford, bakers such as Lupi Legna Bakery in New Haven, and Hamden’s own health food store, Thyme and Season. The owners discussed the benefits of supporting local growers and eating organic as frequent as possible.

“There’s nothing more delicious than a fresh apple,” said Lisa Drazen from Drazen Orchards in Cheshire. “Our apples come off the tree, go into the cooler, and then go directly to the consumer.”

Drazen explained that the elimination of the middle man correlates to better tasting produce.

Eating locally grown food has many other perks besides a better tasting product. Carbon dioxide emissions are decreased since the food isn’t traveling hundreds of miles, and consumers can communicate directly with the farmers to learn about where their food comes from, Drazen said.

“I think that it’s important to eat locally because it supports the community,“ said Lexi Ricci, a former Quinnipiac student and an employee of Drazen Orchards. “It’s also good because local farmers tend to not use a lot of pesticides, so it’s better for your health.”

With the success of the Farmers Market, students are beginning to understand why supporting local farms and orchards is a big step to living healthier lives and making directly impacting their communities.

“Last year I was really happy with the way the market went, and this year I’m even more excited to see its growing success,” Richardson said.

Sophomore Emily Maggio shared similar feelings.

“I love it,” she said. “I mainly go just to buy apples but they have a lot of other good food, as well. I wish it lasted longer or even came back in the spring. I would definitely go every week.”