The instant that things change

There are several events that have left the country and the world shaken. There are about a half a dozen occurances that cause people to ask, “Where were you when you heard?”
The Pearl Harbor bombing, the assassinations of John F. Kennedy, Martin Luther King Jr. and John Lennon, the Nixon resignation and the Challenger explosion.
While some college age students may be recall bits and pieces of the Challenger explosion, the last ten years have packed in a number of significant events that changed the world.
The Gulf War, the car accident that killed Princess Diana, the death of R&B star Aaliyah and most recently the terrorist attacks that rocked the nation.
Everyone has a different story about where they were and what they were doing when any of these thing happened. But one aspect impacted everyone the same. Life can change in an instant.
Non of us are immortal and there is no end to the disasterous things that could be lurking just around the corner.
Think of the morning of Sept. 11. Most people had already been up, had their morning coffee and were on their way to work or school. It was just another Tuesday morning. But at 8:48 a.m. the world changed forever. Just like that. And we had no control over it.
With the holidays coming up, it is important to remember how quickly life can change. If you appreciate someone’s smile, let them know. If you just assume someone knows you love them, make sure they know. If you haven’t talked to someone in awhile, pick up the phone.
People’s lives can change in an instant and we never know what lays ahead of us. Don’t wait to change something until its too late and always let those around you know how much they are appreciated.