Women’s Ice Hockey: Bobcats split weekend with Ivies

Quinnipiac started the weekend strong on Saturday with a 2-1 win over Dartmouth, but lost to Harvard on Sunday 7-2.

On Saturday afternoon, Quinnipiac beat Dartmouth for the first time in program history, winning 2-1, after previously suffering six losses and two ties against the Big Green. Chelsea Illchuk scored the Bobcats’ first goal at 11:26 in the first period after receiving a pass from freshman Heather Hughes during a scramble in front of Dartmouth’s net.

Dartmouth evened the score at the 17:33 mark in the first period, when Jenna Cunningham shot from the right hash marks and the puck rose over freshman goaltender Victoria Vigilanti.

With nine minutes of play left in the third period, Quinnipiac sophomore Bethany Dymarczyk scored the game-winning goal thanks to Hughes’ second assist of the game, a pass received at the right-center point of the blue line. Dymarczyk then fired a shot into the lower right corner for the goal.

Vigilanti held the Bobcats together in the third period, stopping 18 saves in the final 20 minutes. She stopped a total of 32 shots in her fifth win of the season.

On Sunday afternoon, the Bobcats played against the Harvard Crimson and were sent home disappointed.

Senior forward Janine Duffy scored the Bobcats’ only goals in their 7-2 loss. The Bobcats scored with only 1:47 into the game. Dymarczyk passed the puck to Duffy at the Crimson’s blue line, where Duffy ripped a shot to the right of Harvard’s net. However, the Crimson responded aggressively, scoring three goals in the first period.

In the second period, the Crimson continued to dominate offensively. After Harvard’s fourth goal, Vigilanti was pulled and sophomore goaltender Amanda Nagel stepped in. Harvard scored two more goals in the second period before Duffy scored the Bobcats’ final goal of the game about fourteen minutes into the period, when sophomore forward Kate Wheeler passed to Duffy in the slot and Duffy slipped the puck into the net. Wheeler set her team-high count at six assists.

After the loss, the Bobcats dropped to a record of 6-4-2 on the season, with a 4-1-1 record in ECAC Hockey. Quinnipiac returns to the ice Friday, Nov. 20, when they host Colgate at 7 p.m.