SGA Briefs

The Quinnipiac Student Government Association held its ninth weekly meeting of the year Nov. 4 in SC 207. Allison Skidmore and Gabby Simeone won special elections for junior and senior class representatives, respectively.

Faculty Senate

– The Student Leader Advisory Committee met to discuss the vacancy in the Office of Multicultural affairs. There is a line item in the upcoming budget for the position as Senior Vice President for Academic and Student Affairs Mark Thompson gathers information on the current state of affairs.

– Alumni Affairs will hold an “affinity group” with the current SGA members and SGA alumni at homecoming on Feb. 6, 2010. They hope to establish a scholarship endowment for SGA in one to four years. The effort will be spearheaded by Alumni Affairs and the SGA E-board.

– The New Synthesis Group will meet with SPB E-Board Jamie Kloss.

– Junior Class Representative Ben Wald conducted an inquiry into creating a space to accommodate the number of student-athletes and their academic needs.

– The Sustainability Interest Group will hold an Earth Day event on April 22, 2010 which Sophomore Class Representative Andrew McDermott will co-chair. The SIG will meet next on Nov. 16.

– The Student Awareness Committee received more than 1,500 concerns at the QU concern booth over the previous calendar month.

– Keith Woodward, associate director of facilities, and Cindy Long Porter, director of residential life, will meet with McDermott to discuss the housing issue.

– QU 301 will not be canceled, contrary to prevailing rumors.

– An alcohol awareness meeting will be conducted by Tom Galo, John Lee (Interfraternity Council), Brittany Hansen (Panhellenic Council) and Ryan Floum (Residence Hall Council) on Dec. 2.

– Special Appeals for November 2009 will be held on Nov. 19.

– The Council of Presidents will present mission statements.

– The Traditions Committee has begun to accept submissions for fight song lyrics and music. A lyrical winner will be chosen by semester’s end.

Cabinet Reports

2010

– The class cabinet held a meeting about possible commencement speakers, and is not satisfied with John Hockenberry.

2011

– The cabinet is planning an event, and has discussed the subjects of open skating, basketball, and tailgating at the TD Bank Sports Center with the administration.

2012

– A survey is being conducted on the desired housing for the next academic year.

2013

– “Dancing in the Dark” will be held on Nov. 13 from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. in the cafeteria. The freshman cabinet also desires to distribute pamphlets on SGA to prospective students and parents.