Women’s ice hockey blanks Durham Jr. Lightning

The Quinnipiac women’s hockey team hosted an exhibition match against the Durham Jr. Lightning on Saturday and defeated them 7-0.

Quinnipiac saw six different skaters score in the game. Junior Brittany Lyons recorded two goals and an assist, while freshman Nicole Kosta scored a goal and had two assists in the win.

In the first period, the Bobcats scored their first of seven goals with 3:23 left when junior Breann Frykas scored and was assisted by sophomore Olivia Brackett and Kosta.

A minute later, Quinnipiac took a 2-0 lead with a goal by sophomore Amanda Colin. Colin was assisted by Lyons. Meanwhile, on defense, the Bobcats limited the Lightning to just three shots during the period.

The Bobcats extended their lead in the second period to 5-0. Lyons scored first with 12:54 remaining, and was assisted by Colin and reigning ECAC Hockey Player and Rookie of the Year winner Kelly Babstock.

Freshman Anna Borgfeldt then scored with 9:25 left. Borgfeldt found the back of the net after the puck rebounded off Lightning goalie Jackie Rochefort from a shot by Kosta.

Junior Kristen Eklund scored the final goal of the period three minutes later, and was assisted by sophomore Megan Hagg and senior Chelsea Illchuk.

Lyons and Kosta sealed the deal in the third period with two more goals. Lyons scored with 9:56 remaining off a chip shot that bounced off the ice and past both a Lightning goalie and defender. Kosta finished the Lightning off with less than nine seconds left, with assistance from Frykas and senior Melissa Perry.

“I thought Kosta arrived pretty well,” Quinnipiac head coach Rick Seeley said. “She created a lot of space, she has great handling with the puck, and helped in getting a couple of goals.”

The Bobcats’ defense limited the Lightning to just eight shots in the game, including only two in the third period. Despite only playing a limited amount of time, sophomore Victoria Vigilanti recorded 7 of the 8 saves, while freshman Chelsea Laden recorded the eighth and final save for the team.

“We’re happy with a 7-0 win,” Seeley said. “Especially with our whole defensive floor.”

Quinnipiac begins the regular season next weekend when they travel to face No. 8 Mercyhurst for a two game set, beginning on Friday at 7 p.m., followed by a Saturday game at 4 p.m.

For the first time in program history, the Bobcats will enter the season ranked nationally in the USCHO.com preseason poll, earning the ninth spot and a first-place vote.

“It’s kind of awesome,” Seeley said. “With the first week having a critical game, in terms of the national rankings, that weekend can go a long way in determining the rest of the year.”