CAP prepares for year ahead

Community Action Project held its first meeting Sept. 6 at 7 p.m. in Mancheski Executive Seminar room to discuss an overview of the organization, its events and goals for this academic year.

CAP is the largest community service organization on campus holds an average of 40 events each semester.

Senior and CAP co-director Adham Ibrahim believes that the organization is going to improve even more as the years go on.

“Every year this organization grows. It is becoming one of the largest networks on campus,” Ibrahim said. “Tonight the room was packed, there was nowhere to sit, so definitely an awesome turnout for a kickoff meeting.”

There are five different branches of CAP including Youth, Elderly, Best Buddies, Hunger and Homelessness, and Special Events. Each branch holds different events, like the Elderly branch’s senior prom.

Sophomore and co-chair of the Elderly branch Michaela Mooney’s favorite event is the senior prom.

“We go to an elderly home and host a prom for them. It is a lot of fun,” Mooney said. “This year, we are going to try to reach out to more nursing homes.”

Sophomore and relatively new member of CAP Kayla Cupano’s favorite event was FISH.

“FISH is an organization in which we went out to help bag groceries for the needy and deliver them to their houses in New Haven,” Cupano said. “I loved helping people. It was an awesome experience. I didn’t realize how many people needed food so badly to survive.”

A new perspective of CAP came from sophomore and occupational therapy major Janet Dempsey. This was Dempsey’s first CAP meeting and she is excited about the experiences CAP can provide her.

“I’m an OT major and we have to have community service hours for our class this year, so I thought this would be a fun way to do that,” Dempsey said. “I would like to do the Elderly branch. I think elderly people are really sweet and I just want to make them happy.”

Senior and CAP co-director Kendall Keil hopes to get members more involved by sharing their ideas of service.

“I think our main goal is to see our members having inspirations whether it be back from high school, or home, or just coming up with a new idea then talking to our executive board and getting new events started,” Keil said. “That is how they are going to find a passion for the organization as well.”

Students interested in CAP can email the organization directly a [email protected] or follow them on Twitter @QU_CAP.