Rivals must remember that ‘nothing lasts forever’

For the current group of seniors at Quinnipiac, particularly those who like Boston and New York sports, these four years, from the fall of 2004 until now, have taken a complete 180 degree turn in their fan experiences.

When I (Jared) first started getting into Boston sports in middle school, I had the same frustrations that every other Boston sports fan felt. In high school, even though the Patriots were beginning to build their dynasty, it was still a Red Sox city.

Prior to coming to Quinnipiac, the Yankees dominated baseball. As a matter of fact, the year before freshman year began, Aaron F’n Boone crushed the Red Sox dreams when he took Tim Wakefield deep for a game-winning home run in game seven of the 2003 American League Championship Series. I’m a diehard Red Sox fan and to witness this event was probably one of the worst things I’ve ever experienced. Four years later, my, my, my how the roles have been reversed.

Freshman year, the Yankees and Red Sox found themselves matched up again in the ALCS, and the Bronx Bombers took a 3-0 lead in the series. It was then that I became disgusted, as I had never had to deal with so many Yankee fans. However, thanks to some magical pitching, some timely hitting, and a little man named Dave Roberts, the Red Sox ultimately stormed back to win the series and then easily swept the St. Louis Cardinals to win their first championship in 86 years. This actually may be the crowning moment of my existence seeing as how the Yankees pretty much had a firm grasp on the series. Nope, not today Yankees.

After the Red Sox recently won their second world series in four years, it is the Yankee fans who are now wondering if and when they will win another championship and the Red Sox fans who are getting used to winning big games.

As an overall Boston sports fan, however, it does not stop there. The Celtics are a popular pick to go to the NBA finals thanks to the additions of two guys named Garnett and Allen, not to mention they still have some guy named Pierce as well.

On the other hand, for New York fans like me (Ron), the motto has turned into: it wasn’t supposed to be like this.

As a person from New Jersey who knew nothing but New York sports growing up, I was a little spoiled. In high school, the Yanks won a World Series in 2000, and went to two more in 2001 and 2003. They won the AL East every year, and it was always safely assumed that they would take care of the Red Sox if and when they faced off in the playoffs. There was a certain level of false security that the winning would never end.

Now, I sit here four years later and I don’t understand what happened. The Red Sox have won two World Series, and the Yankees can’t get out of the first round. They got rid of arguably the best manager the team has ever had in Joe Torre. For the sake of fairness I should mention the Mets, but when you just had the worst regular season collapse in baseball history, how much should you really be talked about?

I didn’t even get to basketball, where Isiah Thomas should have taken notes from how the Celtics operated this off-season. The lone bright spot could be the New Jersey Nets, not even a real New York team.

But maybe after Super Bowl XLII, the tides could be turning once more. The Patriots’ near perfect season came crashing down because of the likes of Eli Manning, Tom Coughlin and the New York Giants.

Of course, when you have the likes of Bill Belicheck, Tom Brady and Randy Moss putting up video-game like numbers for the Patriots, they may be back to the Promised Land before we know it.

But for now, the New York Giants are world champions, and that is something no Boston football fan can say right now. The G-men may have swung the see-saw back to the city that never sleeps. Hopefully Eli Manning has taken the next step to stardom. We’ll ignore the Jets, who are a complete mess.

The most disturbing part of all this is that the New York area has two teams in each sport, while Boston has only one. Enjoy all the victories Boston fans because as New York fans can now attest to, nothing lasts forever. Except maybe the Dolphins record undefeated season.