Softball need extras en route to Sunday sweep

After two losses to Harvard on Saturday, the Quinnipiac softball team looked to turn around the weekend and it did. The Bobcats swept Manhattan College on Sunday in a doubleheader.

In the second game of the day, the Bobcats lost a seven-run lead in the fifth when the Jaspers batted in five runs, leaving a two-run difference between them.

Then in the top of the seventh inning with two outs and the bases loaded, Manhattan’s Kate Bowen drove in two runs to tie the game at 9, forcing the Bobcats into an eighth inning.

Quinnipiac head coach Germaine Fairchild said she believed her players would be able to hold off the Jaspers and get the winning run.

Quinnipiac freshman Katie Alfiere delivers a pitch in the second game Sunday's doubleheader with Manhattan College, a 10-9 win (photo by Matt Eisenberg)

“[In] a game like this, you’ve been out here for however many hours, you’ve been playing softball for several hours in a row, your hitters are ready,” Fairchild said.

An inning-and-a-half later, the Bobcats came out victorious when Christy Cabrera singled, knocking in Alex Murray for the winning run, to defeat the Jaspers 10-9.

“I just think we hung in there tough and weren’t going to give that game up,” Fairchild said. “Alex Murray came up big with two hits on her last two at bats of the day, and that’s the kind of offensive confidence we need heading into conference play next weekend.”

The Bobcats went on a streak of their own in the bottom of the third with six runs, scoring three off errors made by Manhattan first baseman Jaci Rahey.

“You got to be on base to take advantage of the other team’s mistakes,” Fairchild said. “And we were. We had our people on base.”

In Quinnipiac’s first game of the afternoon, Jordan Paolucci’s home run in the third inning, along with Heather Schwartzburg’s pitching, were the deciding factors in a 5-2 win.

With Alex Alba on second and Mina Duffy on first, Paolucci’s swing sent the ball over the right field fence for a three-run homer.

Schwartzburg pitched all seven innings, allowing only two runs and seven hits while striking out 11.

“We can depend on her to put us in a position to win, and she did that,” Fairchild said. “Our offense came out big and put some runs on the board early and helped give her some breathing room.”

The Bobcats face Connecticut Thursday in a doubleheader at Burrill Family Field at 3 p.m.