Law School dean has ‘complete confidence’ in Durso, sentenced to three years probation after bank fraud

Mary Ellen Durso will stay on board as Quinnipiac’s Law School registrar after being sentenced to three years probation for bank fraud and conspiracy, according to Law School Dean Brad Saxton.

A Thursday e-mail from Saxton said that she will remain employed by the university.

“I have conducted a careful review of the situation and continue to have complete confidence in Dean Durso’s ability to perform her duties here responsibly,” Saxton said in the e-mail, sent out to law students, faculty and administration.

Durso, the Law School’s registrar and assistant dean of academic affairs,  was sentenced to three years of probation on March 9, according to a Wednesday release. She pleaded guilty in December 2010 to one count of conspiracy and five counts of filing false returns.

As part of the sentence, issued by U.S. District Court Judge Mark R. Kravitz, Durso will spend the first six months in home confinement.

University spokesman John Morgan would not comment on Durso’s ability to work as registrar during her time in home confinement: “The university does not comment on personnel matters,” he said in an e-mail.

According to Saxton’s e-mail, “a number of” people asked about whether Durso’s sentencing will affect her position at Quinnipiac.

U.S. District Attorney David Fein said that Durso served as the straw owner of a Florida condominium, and filed a materially false loan to benefit her co-conspirators. (Read more on the initial charges)

Fein said Durso filed false tax returns from 2004-2008, resulting in tax loss of about $46,000 to the government.

Kravitz ordered Durso to pay restitution to federal mortgage buyer Freddie Mac, as well as back taxes, penalties and interest to the government.

Read the initial indictment below:
Kottage, Hathaway & Durso Indictment