Students show love for Ke$ha online and in line

Quinnipiac students voiced both disappointment and delight as the news of Ke$ha headlining the spring concert exploded on campus, Facebook and Twitter this week.

Even though Ke$ha is one of the most successful artists of the year, some Quinnipiac students still expressed disappointment with the decision.

“People were complaining about her in the admissions office today,” sophomore Meredith Atkinson said. “I don’t get it, I’m excited.”

The consensus seemed split between boys and girls: boys were disgusted and girls were celebrating. Male students continued to offer what they thought would have been better options.

Sophomore Kyle Smith thought Kid Cudi would have been a better option, since the rapper was the other top student pick from this winter’s survey. (Kid Cudi will perform at Sacred Heart on May 1.)

“I’d like to see Cudi here,” Smith said. “But every female loves Ke$ha. Doesn’t matter what type of girl, they all love her.”

Smith’s observation rang true among many of the girls at Quinnipiac. Facebook statuses of QU females the night of the announcement were dominated by capital letters and exclamation marks.

Junior Amanda Liria tweeted, “I’m stocking up on glitter as we speak.”

Sophomore Natalie Karpinski thinks Ke$ha will be better than the last Quinnipiac concert she attended.

“At Third Eye Blind everyone was just standing there,” Karpinski said. “At least for Ke$ha, everyone will be dancing. Even if you’re in the seats, it will be more like a party.”

Junior Danielle Potter said she was impressed Quinnipiac signed one of pop music’s biggest stars.

“She’s a popular person, so I would think that she has the craziness to put on a good show,” Potter said.

Monday’s ticket line proved Ke$ha’s popularity. Three hours before tickets went on sale Monday, students had already filled the Tator Hall corridor.

The line was so congested security guards were posted at intervals along the hallway. The Student Programming Board made the decision to start selling tickets earlier than 4 p.m., the scheduled time.

The girls at the front of the line were just happy they were finally moving.

Sophomore Megan Reilly justified waiting in line for so long: “The concert’s going to be a really good time, so we just wanted to get really great seats.” She did admit that it was much too hot in the hallway.

Check out video of the line here.