Rutty out four weeks, Gabriel transfers

Quinnipiac senior forward Justin Rutty is scheduled for elbow surgery and will miss four weeks, as reported by Bill Cloutier, the assistant sports editor of the New Haven Register.

Rutty called off the shootaround before last Thursday’s game at Monmouth with pain in his elbow.  On the WQUN pregame show, Quinnipiac head coach Tom Moore confirmed that Rutty chipped a bone in his right elbow.

Justin Rutty
Justin Rutty is the reigning NEC Player of the Year.

“He’s got two bone chips that have broken off and they’re at a point in his elbow now that are impeding his total range of motion,” Moore told the Register. “The estimated time is roughly four weeks. We believe he’ll be able to play again in four weeks.”

Rutty’s potential replacement, freshman forward Mike Gabriel, left the team and transferred to another school two days before Rutty’s injury Cloutier reported.

One player that has stepped up since Rutty has been out of the lineup is sophomore forward Jamee Jackson. Before Rutty’s injury, Jackson put up 5.1 shots per game compared to the 11.5 he’s posted in the last two games without Rutty. He also played a career-high 34 minutes in Saturday’s win vs. Fairleigh Dickinson.

Rutty scheduled for surgery, to miss month – New Haven Register

Rutty leads the team with 16.6 points per game and 9.9 rebounds per game. The Bobcats have gone 2-0 in his absence, with wins at Monmouth and at Fairleigh Dickinson.

The Bobcats return to action Thursday, when they host Bryant at 7 p.m.

Photo credits: Al Valerio