Volleyball falls into late season slump

It’s late in the season and the Quinnipiac Bobcats’ volleyball team is not playing up to its potential.

A big five-set conference win over Fairleigh Dickinson gave the Bobcats a positive outlook on the rest of the season nearing the end of conference play.

But after that, Quinnipiac fell on a four-game losing skid, including two straight-set road losses against St. Francis (Pa.) and Robert Morris over this past weekend.

Quinnipiac (6-21, 4-9 NEC) came out flat in the first set, scoring only nine points in the opener. Robert Morris (15-16, 12-2 NEC) went on a 13-2 run to start the game and out-killed the Bobcats 13-5 in the set.

The Bobcats kept it close in the second set, but the Colonials went on a 13-1 run to close it out 25-13. Quinnipiac lost the final set in the match 25-22 to send the Bobcats on their way out of Pennsylvania.

Sophomore Taylor Payne led the team with six kills and seven digs in the match. Amanda Armstrong, the team leader in kills, only had three in Sunday’s conference match.

Kayla Lawler had 20 assists to lead the Bobcats Sunday, bringing her to 895 on the season. Logan Riker’s five digs added to her team lead as well.

Including the matches prior to this weekend, the Bobcats have lost 10 straight sets. The three point deficit in the final set from Sunday’s match is the closest Quinnipiac has gotten to a set win since its last one – the fourth set at home against Long Island (25-23).

Entering the game Robert Morris was second in the conference in hitting percentage (.237) and first in blocks per game (2.90). The Colonials played better than their season averages, registering a .313 hitting percentage and 7 blocks.

The Colonials also totaled more digs than the conference-leading Bobcats could muster, 37-28.

Lindsey Monger (11 kills, 12 digs) had a double-double for Robert Morris while Alex Deines and Andrea Catucci had double digits in assists, 13 and 16 respectively.