Gamers, TiVo-ers rejoice at QU-Enet

Senior Tina Mongiardo previously was only able to use her TiVo through a 30-foot Ethernet cord running from her Crescent common room to her bedroom. Now, she can enjoy her service wirelessly as a result of the newly-constructed QU-Enet.

QU-Enet (“E” standing for entertainment) is designed specifically to support consumer electronics such as gaming consoles, Blu-ray players and all Internet-ready consumer devices, Information Security Officer Brian Kelly explained.

BobcatNet, on the contrary, is an enterprise network with enterprise security meant for an academic environment.

“We recognize the need and desire for these uses, especially with the popularity of gaming devices. That’s what QU-Enet is all about,” David Vance, manager of training and communications of information services, said.

It took approximately four weeks to complete the wireless network and it was announced to undergraduates through e-mail on Monday, Oct. 18.

“We started to see a lot of requests for this type of network, so we tried to respond as quickly as we could,” Kelly said. “But we had to do so in a way that wouldn’t have a negative impact on the real reason we are here: to learn, work and collaborate.”

Richard Narel, a network support specialist, was the primary person who constructed the network and solicited students with different consoles to test the new network.

Mongiardo participated by testing her TiVo.

“It was frustrating that it wouldn’t work before,” she said. “It’s an expensive service, and I’m happy it works now.”

The Crescent dorms were built with limited wired ports, only one per suite, Vance said, because “we have a ubiquitous wireless campus.”

Residence Hall Director Dennis Lue Yat said Quinnipiac was trying to work with Ethernet last year at York Hill, but a lot of students requested wireless.

“Students enjoy the ability to play in their bedrooms,” Lue Yat said. “It’s more of a comfort.”

Kelly added that if students need help or have a device not already on the list, they should put in a request to the technology center.