Quinnipiac baseball woes continue

The Quinnipiac Braves baseball team fell to a disappointing 2-12, 0-3 in NEC play on Saturday after being swept by Central Connecticut State University in a double header.
The Braves were shutout 4-0 in the opening game of the double header, and blew a 4-0 lead in the second game, falling 7-4.
Braves starter Tim Trama pitched well in the first game. He gave up one run in the first inning, and settled down after that. Trama went 6 2/3 innings giving up seven hits, four runs, three earned, with four walks, and three strikeouts. Ian Fairclough finished up the game getting the final out.
The Braves had a chance to get back in the game in the fifth inning. Freshman catcher Chris Vartuli singled, shortstop Chris Stonaha followed with a single, and right fielder Keith Avery was hit by a pitch. But the rallied ended when centerfielder Tim Mangano grounded into a bases-loaded, inning ending double play.
In the nightcap, the Braves jumped out to an early 4-0 lead, junior Sal Puccio had an RBI single, and freshman Al Marano added a two-run double in the first inning. Travis LaPointe added an RBI single in the second, but that was all the Braves got. CCSU scored seven unanswered, of the seven, only one was earned.
Junior Charlie Heid pitched well going 5 1/3 innings giving up four runs, one earned, on six hits, two walks, and five strikeouts. Junior John Jasilli came in to close the deal, but got no help from his defense giving up three runs, all unearned and got stuck with the loss. Ian Fairclough came in after Jasilli and got the final two outs.
Coach Joe Mattei was unavailable for comment on the games. The Braves are in Brooklyn, New York this Saturday for a double header against Long Island University.