Field hockey snatches up win with NEC shutout

Quinnipiac’s field hockey team got its first shutout of the season as it defeated Northeast Conference rival St. Francis (Pa.) on Friday afternoon at DeGol Field in Loretto, Pa. With the 2-0 victory, the Bobcats improved to 2-2 in the NEC, while the Red Flash fell to 1-3 in NEC play.

“Our first shutout of the year feels awesome,” junior midfielder Lauren Zimniski said. “Every person on this team contributed today and it showed in a great win.”

After a scoreless first half, the game changed. The Bobcats found success halfway through the second 35 minutes. At 47:21, MacKenzie Liptak scored her second goal of the season. From the goal line, Liptak flipped the ball into the far corner of the net past Red Flash goalie Katelyn Vitali.

The Bobcats found their second goal with six minutes left in the game when Katie Van Nostrand scored off the penalty corner taken by Tina Watkins in the 64th minute.

“We had a really strong showing today because of a tremendous work ethic,” head coach Becca Kohli said. “We had smart games from Kimmy Cunniff, Katie Notarianni and Nicole Lewis and I am confident in our ability to adapt to various surfaces and also play fierce and fast. We gave proper attention to a conference game like they all should be played.”

The Red Flash only had four shots, but the team blocked half of them, while Bobcat goalie Nicole Lewis stopped the other two.

“Our team has a never-give-up mindset,” Zimniski said. “If we can keep that through our remaining games, I have no doubt we will be playing for the NEC Championship.”