Delts fire up annual football tourney

Footballs soared through the Quad on Sunday, signaling the onset of Delta Tau Delta’s First Annual Flag Football Tournament.

“We’ve had a good turnout … about 16 teams signed up so we want to keep doing it every year,” senior DTD member Christian Alvarez said. “We put it as the ‘First Annual’ because we want to have it as a tradition, and it’s for a good cause.”

The event was co-ed, with one bracket for powderpuff and one for men. Throughout the day teams battled against each other, playing at least two games each. Participants were given a free barbecue, and for many, the opportunity for revenge.

“I think the girls are really the most involved. Coming off the Greek Week tournament, they are really excited and into it,” Alvarez said.

As a prequel fundraiser to their “Movember” event, the flag football tournament helped collect funds that they will eventually donate to prostate cancer research. They raised more than $400 through team registration, a barbecue and raffles. Some of the raffle prizes included New York Rangers tickets and a parking spot in North Lot.

Other Greek organizations participated in the event to assist the Delts in their effort to raise money. “We are all in Theta so we are coming out to support the Delts; we are really intense and ready to win,” said junior Alyse Mahood of the team “Black and Gold Ballers.” “I think that it’s doing well so far, especially for their first event because it’s hard when you’re a new organization on campus to have people get involved.”

The rules were designed to be much like intramural flag football. Contact was allowed for the men below the neck and above the waist only, while women were told there was no contact allowed because according to senior Ramon Sanchez, “the girls play way too rough.”

“At first, registration was really slow but I am very happy with the outcome,” Sanchez said. “I am worried about the injuries though. I want to keep it safe.”

Teams played each other in a nine-on-nine style for powder-puff, and seven-on-seven for men. The event was publicized on Facebook with “MAKE A TEAM… SAVE A LIFE” as its tagline.

Phi Sigma Sigma won the women’s bracket, and DTD’s team “Crazy Chipmunks” won the men’s bracket.

“The tournament was a great success,” “Chipmunks” member Nathan Hirsch said. “While it was a long day I wouldn’t have rather spent it with any other group of people. DTD did a great job running the event and giving both champions the recognition they deserved…It’s cool that if this event continues, we will be know as the first-ever champions.”

Photo credit: Charlotte Green