TKE, CAP team up for blood drive

Tau Kappa Epsilon and Community Action Project co-sponsored their ninth blood drive this week–beginning last Monday and ending today.

Junior Joe Fortunato donates blood as often as possible because his father had blood cancer.

“Without donor blood, he would never have survived,” he said.

Fortunato, a member of TKE, follows a popular outlook on life that it’s better to give than receive after donating for the third time. Because of the overwhelming number of donors, the blood drive actually had to turn walk-ins away, Fortunato said..

“The American Red Cross blood drive is one of our events to extend TKE’s motto: To contribute to the advancement of society through the personal growth of our members, and service to others,” TKE President Matt Goddard said.

According to Goddard, Quinnipiac students have contributed 150 pints of blood. And for every one donor, the lives of three individuals are saved.

“The drive has been the ideal way to give back to the Quinnipiac community and the national community as a whole,” TKE senior Dean Czerwonka said.

There is always a need for blood, so the cause is worth promoting, according to CAP Public Relations Chair Adham Ibrahim.

“It’s always a cause worth fighting for and working hard towards,” Ibrahim, a junior, said. “I was glad the members of CAP could be a part of an event that has given Quinnipiac students the opportunity to give and help out.”

Best Buddies co-chair Lindsey Raffol said the blood drive is a great opportunity to stay involved and give back to the community.

“It’s really important as young adults to learn about ways we can continue giving back to the community after we graduate,” Raffol said. “All you have to do is just give some blood and you’re helping to save a lot of lives.”

Sophomore Alana Kreiger donated blood because she knows it may save another person’s life.

“You never know what the future holds, someday it could be me or you who needs the blood,” she said.