Mikkelson, Kwei make Fairfield semis

The men’s tennis team’s season started Saturday in Fairfield, Conn. at the Fairfield Doubles Festival. Two of the Bobcats’ duos reached the semifinals in their respective pools but fell short of moving on.

Senior Brian Mikkelson and junior James Kwei went undefeated in round robin play in Pool 1. They defeated Fairfield University’s Rob Ferrante and Dan Sauter, 8-5, University of Connecticut’s Andrew Marcus and Dave Adams, 8-7 (3), and University of Hartford’s John Isaacson and Aneil Bhalla, 8-2.

Mikkelson and Kwei advanced to the semifinals to face St. Peter’s. They fell short in a tough battle against the pair of Chris Frakes and Robert Foral, 8-7 (9).

In Pool 2, the sophomore team of Andrew Weeden and Brett Francis went 2-1 in round robin play. The duo defeated both St. Peter’s College and Hartford, 8-2, but then lost to UConn’s Scott Warden and Teddy Margules, 8-4. In the semifinals, they lost to Sacred Heart’s pair of Kirill Kasyanov and Nick Mazzarese, 8-3.

Senior Dillon Kraus and freshman Corey Morganstern also competed in doubles. The two fell short against Sacred Heart University and Queens College, but knocked off UConn’s Matt Burns and Nic Visinski, 8-4. Chris Nelson and Alex Lazerowich played in the seventh place match, defeating Fairfield’s R.J. Mirabile and Bjorn Merinder, 8-6.