Jersey Shore’s The Situation expected to earn $5 million this year

The United States was founded on the principle that anything is possible.  People from all over the world flocked to America to gain success and the opportunity to be whatever they wanted to be.  Throughout the growth of America, women went from being considered property of their husband, to gaining the right to vote and own land. African-Americans and Caucasians integrated in the school systems as well as the work force. And in 2009, Mike “The Situation” Sorrentino had a dream to impact American culture.

The Washington Post recently reported that in the month of August alone 54,000 jobs were lost and the unemployment rate skyrocketed to 9.6 percent.  Thousands of educated Americans are out of work, looking for new ways to support their families. People all across the country are cutting back on their living expenses, driving older cars, and taking fewer vacations to stay home and work. Everyone seems to be changing the way they live. Everyone, that is, except “The Situation,” who is expected to rake in an estimated $5 million this year, according to Wall Street Cheat Sheet. That’s right, $5 million for flaunting his abs and coining obnoxious phrases like “GTL,” which stands for “gym, tan, laundry.”

It doesn’t take a genius to see that “The Situation” has a simple philosophy: “GTL,” all while making tons of cash.  Every Thursday night, Mike, along with the rest of the cast of “Jersey Shore” invades viewers’ homes via MTV and dictates his theory on life.  Not only are the episodes cruel and often heartbreaking to watch, but Mike takes women back to his house for the night and exploits them on camera. He’s known to call so-called ugly women “grenades” and “land mines,” despite the fact millions across America are tuning in to watch. Not only has “The Situation” become a household name for the Staten Island native, but it is taking the world by storm. Shirts are being made and sold all over, promoting “GTL” and a Grenade-Free America (GFA).

Aside from being a part of “Jersey Shore,” which is currently filming its third season in Seaside, N.J., Mike will be a part of the upcoming season of “Dancing with the Stars” on ABC. He is currently penning an autobiography as well.  By doing all this, “The Situation” is about to earn himself a check for $5 million this year alone. Where is all this money coming from? According to ABC News, with the money he will make from “Dancing with the Stars” and the advance he received for writing his autobiography, Sorrentino receives up to $60,000 per episode for “Jersey Shore.” If that is not enough, he receives anywhere from $15,000 to $50,000 per appearance at any event and also has endorsement deals with Vitamin Water and Reebok.

Although Sorrentino is one of the most outspoken characters from the show, he isn’t the only one making the best out of what is handed towards him. Jenni “J Woww” Farley recently launched her own clothing line known as Filthy Couture, which she models after the clothes she makes herself for the show, and plans to come out with a skin care line.  Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi was recently  turned down after trying to get her named patented so she wouldn’t be confused with a character from a children’s book named “Snooky.”

It is evident that the entire cast of “Jersey Shore” is taking advantage of their overdone 15 minutes of fame. Yet, who can blame them? America seems to be OK with handing them the spotlight. While family members are sitting at home struggling to make their next mortgage payment, “The Situation” is making bank, all while rocking Ed Hardy sneakers and a blowout.

Photo credit: MTV.com