School of Health Sciences names new associate dean

John Hassett of Quinnipiac University

Quinnipiac University’s School of Health Sciences appointed Anita Lee, a veteran administrator, as its newest associate dean of academic and faculty affairs, the school announced on Nov. 14. 

Prior to her appointment, Lee was a professor of health sciences at Eastern Connecticut State University, serving both as the acting department chair and as a special assistant to the dean in ECSU’s School of Education and Professional Studies.

Janelle Chiasera, dean of the university’s School of Health Sciences, first met Lee when she took her position at Quinnipiac.

“I am impressed by her calm demeanor, her willingness to listen, and the thoughtful approach she brings to this position,” Chiasera said, citing the experience Lee has across multiple disciplines from both a faculty and student perspective.

Lee, who earned a master’s degree in recreation and tourism and a doctoral degree in physical education at Springfield College, was also a peer evaluator for the New England Commission of Higher Education and a facilitator of the Association of College and University Educators.

“My experience as a peer evaluator is to evaluate higher education institutions through its accreditation process for promotion educational excellence and quality assurance,” Lee wrote in a statement to The Chronicle.

Lee played a significant role in establishing ECSU’s health science program. Lee said her previous roles and experiences prepared her to be an associate dean.

“I want to support (Quinnipiac) faculty to achieve the School of Health Sciences strategic goals through high quality academic programs,” Lee wrote. “Quality academic programs would allow students to learn and apply their knowledge and skills.”

The strategic priorities of the School of Health Sciences are educational excellence, innovation, community-based partnerships and programs, organizational health and inclusive excellence.

“My duties at the School of Health Sciences focus on academic programs and faculty affairs,” Lee said. “But my experience working with students allows me to understand the academic challenges of students.”

In February 2023, the School of Health Sciences launched a comprehensive strategy plan that is typically done every five years. The strategy plan includes the development of the school’s vision, mission, core values and the strategic priorities.

Lee will assist the smooth implementation of the established plan.

By achieving these goals, Lee said students will benefit academically or in their pre-professional success. 

“I am delighted to have her join the leadership within our school,” Chiasera said. “She is very well positioned to be very successful (in her role).”

At ECSU, Lee co-created the Student Excellence and Persistence System, an initiative that offered academically at-risk students a second chance after academic dismissal.

“Action students have to take vary, depending on their personal, family, and financial situations, but the ultimate goal is to help them improve their performance in classes and earn a degree,” Lee said.

Data from the fall 2022 semester show that the School of Health Sciences enrolled roughly 1,400 undergraduate students and 730 graduate students.

Although Lee will also serve as a professor of health science studies, she said she looks forward to having an impact beyond her usual classrooms.

“Student success is the key in education especially for students that are behind academically,” Lee said. “Helping them to find the root causes of their academic performance and help them to improve is my job as an educator.”