Hall Wars 2010: Suite victory [Video & Slideshow]

The Suites came out triumphant in Sigma Phi Epsilon’s fifth annual Hall Wars held on the Quad. The event served as a friendly competition between students of the freshman residence halls that would grant one of four groups (Suites, Ledges, Irma/Dana, and Commons) class bragging rights. The Suites, comprised of students living in the Larson, Perlroth, and Troupe residence halls, captured their first Hall Wars crown on Saturday in only the second year they were eligible for the title.

The Hall Wars contests, which lasted from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., included soccer, jousting, “hot shots” basketball, volleyball, a cornhole toss tournament, kickball, dodgeball, and tug-of-war. A relay race between teams representing each residence hall capped off the day. The relay included a potato sack race, a dizzy bat twirl, wheelbarrow racing, sprinting, a pie-eating contest, and a three-legged race. A Ledges team won the relay race, but it was not enough to secure victory.

To start off the event, a moment of silence was held in remembrance of the Sept. 11 attacks which occurred nine years ago.

Approximately 750 students participated in the day’s activities. The Hall Wars experience was an effective outlet to get freshmen involved as early as possible, and it even surpassed the expectations that some students may have had.

Suites Resident Assistants Katherine Foster (left) and Jessica Cusumano (right) duel in the gladiator event.

“I doubted it at first, I thought this is going to be stupid, but I like it so far,” Ledges freshman Emma Leary said. “I’m not much of a soccer or basketball player, but I know I’m going to love volleyball. Playing soccer was fun because of the people that you’re with.”

The contests were also a means for students living on different floors or in different dorms to meet new people.

“It’s a great time, I love it,” Irma freshman John Varriano said. “I’m so happy I came here, I feel like I can connect with everyone. Everyone here is so nice and welcoming.”

In addition to the athletic activities, a barbecue was held at noon in an effort to raise money for YouthAIDS, an educational program dedicated to stopping the spread of the HIV/AIDS virus. Raffle tickets were sold throughout the week, allowing students to donate $5 to $10 to the organization. Donating students were given the opportunity to win prizes including iTunes gift cards, doughnuts from Whitney Donut and Sandwich Shop, subs from Ray and Mike’s Deli, and purses.

The Student Programming Board (SPB) provided free cotton candy and popcorn during the event.

“It’s a great way to donate to charity, but at the same time it’s also a great way for us to get the freshmen involved,” Hall Wars chairman Adam Horgan said. “It’s also an excellent way to show how well the organizations on this campus work together. ”

Horgan, who had been elected Hall Wars chair of SigEp in April, had been coordinating the event for the entire summer as well as the weeks leading up to it. According to Horgan, the Department of Residential Life, Residence Hall Council, Chartwells, Intramurals, the Athletic Department, Campus Customs, and SPB all contributed to help SigEp in coordinating Hall Wars.

Sigma Phi Epsilon has partnered in national philanthropy with YouthAIDS since 2005.

“YouthAids does so much work, especially with kids,” Horgan said. “I think kids really touch everybody’s heart. I don’t think there’s anyone in the world that doesn’t like a kid. I think it’s awesome that we can help them out, and we can have fun while we do it.”

Photo credits: Vanessa Stier, Matt Busekroos