Panhellenic sponsors first toga run

Students participated in Quinnipiac’s first Toga Run on April 18, an event sponsored by Panhellenic Council to raise money for Autism Family Tours.  The run, one-and-a-half miles long, started at Complex courtyard, looped around Hilltop parking lot and the College of Arts and Sciences parking lots, and returned to Complex courtyard.

“The idea for the event came during a Panhellenic and IFC retreat,” said Sarah Anscher, vice president of philanthropy for Panhellenic Council.

There was a minimum $5 donation to participate in the run.  An individual who donated $30 or more was considered a gold member, and was given a T-shirt and a gold medal.

All the money raised during the event will go to a non-profit organization called Autism Family Tours.  Their goal is to provide customized, therapeutic, educational, and recreational programs for autistic children.

“I wanted to do something for autism, with April being Autism Awareness Month,” Anscher said.

The toga run was open to the entire Quinnipiac community, and students from various organizations came to support the cause including many Greeks, and students from the Physical Therapy Club.

Junior accounting major Tisha Parris came to show support for Anscher, her Kappa Alpha Theta sister.

“I like to run and this was definitely for a good cause, and I wanted to support Sarah in her first event,” she said.

Parris participated in the event with her roommate Roxanne Righini, a junior physical therapy major.

“I really wanted to support Sarah because I know autism is really close to her heart,” Righini said.

Six individuals received awards at the end of the race, handed out by Anscher.  The male winner of the race was junior Matt Hudak and the female winner of the race was junior Laura Fitzpatrick.  The best male toga award was given to two juniors, Corey Lewis and Justin Vanderhoof.  The best female toga award was given to junior Amy Zurlo.  The final award was given to the individual who raised the most money, junior Emily Callahan.

The winners of the awards received gift certificates to some of Quinnipiac students’ favorite places around Hamden, including Ray and Mike’s Dairy and Deli, and Whitney Donut and Sandwich Shop.

It is currently undecided whether the event will occur annually.  Anscher said that no final plans have been made yet, and that there are talks of having it at the end of “Greek Week” next year.