SGA fights hate with love

Andrew McDermott asked the audience last Tuesday night, “Where is the love? It’s right here, right now, as we conquer hate.” McDermott, Residence Hall Council’s national communications chair, and members from numerous student organizations spoke out at “Love Conquers Hate,” an event to continue last year’s efforts in fighting hate here at QU.

This is the second year that the Student Government Association has put on this event. It was restructured from last year’s event, titled “10 Ways to Fight Hate.”

Residence Hall Director Dennis Lue Yat was the keynote speaker, and told the audience an anecdote about a friend from high school whose life he changed. He asked why people just stick to their comfort zones, and said that a simple act of kindness can make all the difference.

Lue Yat left the audience with a piece of advice: “Never underestimate the power of a gesture.”

Members of Greek Life, Residence Hall Council, QU MUSIC and SGA each relayed their interpretation of their respective steps and advice to the audience.

“Educate yourself, and most importantly others,” said Sarah Moler, a junior Kappa Alpha Theta member. “Join together as a community, leaving hate behind. It can start with all of us.”

The walls of Alumni Hall were decorated with signs displaying the 10 steps to conquer hate: rise up, pull together, speak out, support the victims, name it/know it, understand the media, know your campus, teach tolerance, maintain momentum, and pass the torch.

“Don’t just assume things, and don’t let others shape your opinion,” said Alex Barczak, a junior Sigma Phi Epsilon member. “Stereotypes exist because [people] are too lazy to think otherwise.”

The speakers stressed that a community should be a place where all are welcome and no one is put down for being different, and how important it is to have a common voice so we all stand strong.

“I thought it was very well done how [Kaite Lovett, sophomore class representative] used all of the organizations and didn’t focus on hate but focused on love,” said Michelle Massimi, a junior Phi Sigma Sigma member.

“They all came together to support each other and create love and respect on this campus, which is what we need.”