Person arrested on Mount Carmel campus

Hamden Police Department was called to Mount Carmel Ave. on Monday, Sept. 3 at 1:50 p.m. on reckless endangerment, according to a Hamden PD daily activity log.

[media-credit name=”Hamden Police Daily Arrest Log 8/31/18-9/3/18″ align=”aligncenter” width=”500″][/media-credit][media-credit name=”Hamden Police Daily Activity Log 08/31/18-09/03/18″ align=”aligncenter” width=”500″][/media-credit]Josiah Chad Diaz-Cregan, an 18-year-old Meriden resident, was arrested for reckless endangerment to the second degree, threatening to the second degree and disorderly conduct at 2:14 p.m. at the same address.

Barstool Quinnipiac, an affiliate of Barstool Sports and unaffiliated with the university, posted on Instagram (@Qubarstool) and Twitter (@BarstoolQU) a video of a person being arrested on the Mount Carmel campus.

https://twitter.com/BarstoolQU/status/1037009091128946690

It has not yet been confirmed whether the video and arrest are linked, or if the person in the video is a Quinnipiac student. However, a person by that name has a Quinnipiac email account.

One student says they witnessed the incident in the video unravel.

“I was sitting in my room’s common area and saw an armed police officer through our window,” said freshman English and philosophy double major Sarah Harris. “My roommate and I peeked out of our dorm but by that time the student was already in the police car. The next morning a video clip was posted on social media. Based on the video posted I recognized the guy, he was in my Issues In Politics class.”

Ryan O’Neill, adjunct law professor and mock trial instructor, defines reckless endangerment to the second degree as,“a class B misdemeanor. A person can be guilty of reckless endangerment when they act in a reckless manner and then in acting recklessly they create a risk that someone else will be injured.”

Threatening to the second degree is a class A misdemeanor, according to O’Neill.

“A person can be convicted of threatening in the second degree when they make a physical threat or they threaten someone with any kind of crime of violence and then by doing so they place the other person in fear of serious physical injury,” O’Neill said. “Threatening is when you make a threat of physical harm or a threat of committing a crime of violence with the intention to make the other person fearful that they are actually going to be injured.”

O’Neill stated that disorderly conduct is a class C misdemeanor. 

“A person can be convicted of disorderly conduct when they are intending to cause annoyance or alarm and they engage in some sort of fighting or tumultuous or violent behavior,” O’Neill said.

He is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 17.

Stay with The Chronicle as more information becomes available.