Women’s hockey earns a point

The Quinnipiac women’s Ice Hockey team recorded one point after their two ECAC road games this past weekend. The Bobcats dropped a 4-3 nail-biter to Cornell on Friday and tied Colgate 1-1 on Saturday.

Bobcats’ freshman goalkeeper Jamie Miller was kept busy throughout the weekend. Miller recorded 29 saves against Cornell and 34 versus Colgate.

Against Cornell, the Bobcats came back from a 3-0 deficit in the first period to tie the game at three heading into the third period. Quinnipiac’s first goal came from junior forward Elyse Cole late in the first period. The goal was Cole’s team-leading fifth goal of the season.

Quinnipiac would cut Cornell’s lead to 3-2 before the end of the first period. Senior forward Vicky Graham scored the first of her two goals at the 18:37 mark. Graham, Quinnipiac’s all-time leading scorer, added another goal to her record.

Graham and the Bobcats were not done though. In the second period the Bobcats tied the game at three. At 19:07 in the period Graham put in her second goal of the game, and her third of the season.

Miller also stepped her game up in the second period, as she made 15 of her 29 saves.

Ultimately, Cornell would score in the third period and take the game 4-3. The game-winning goal came from Caeleigh Beerworth off of a power play. This was a prominent theme in the game, as Cornell scored all four of their goals on the power play.

On Saturday afternoon the Bobcats did not wait to fall behind as they jumped out to the early 1-0 lead. Erika Bolognino scored her second goal of the season at 8:24 in the first period to put Quinnipiac up 1-0. Cole started off the play by taking control of a loose puck after a blocked shot. She then passed the puck to freshman Brandice Moniz, who found Bolognino after taking possession into the zone. The scoring play was finished with a stick-side shot past Colgate goalie Elayna Hamashuk.

Once again Miller had a busy second period in goal, trying to preserve the Quinnipiac lead. She stopped all 16 shots Colgate put on net in the period, leaving her team up 1-0 heading into the third period.

Colgate finally tied the game up at one at the 12:06 mark off a short-handed goal.

Quinnipiac was not able to get anything going in overtime, managing just one shot. Miller was able to stop the three Colgate shots.

The Bobcats will return to the ice this weekend, playing another set of road games, at Rensselaer Friday and at Union Saturday.