More than reality

Reality television has overstayed its welcome, and the programs they’re creating continue to get more and more ridiculous. Take the latest dating show “A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila.” Um, who is this girl? And who really cares that she’s looking for love? Does it ever last? Well, I guess just once, and that was Trista Rhen on “The Bachelorette.”

It’s truly the dating reality shows that annoy me most. You’re not fooling anyone. And I’m sorry, as funny as Flava Flav and “Flavor of Love” was, (yes, I watched, both seasons), I doubt anyone fell in love with that hot mess. It just seems as though people participate in this show to get their 15 minutes of fame, when really, they should be embarrassed. However, I will say that “The Hills” and “Run’s House” are two of my favorite reality shows. “The Hills” is just entertaining to watch because the girls on the show are around our age, and everyone loves drama. And “Run’s House” is just a funny show with a real family that sometimes holds a deeper meaning. Rev Run’s words of wisdom at the end of the show are insightful, and yet his wife and sons provide some comedic relief.

I am proud to say, though, that reality television hasn’t fully taken over our TV sets. Returning favorite “Heroes” is just one show that I can’t seem to get enough of. I’m planted on my futon at 8:55 p.m. sharp to make sure I don’t miss a beat. Though the show is down three million viewers from last season, the plotlines and histories of these characters never cease to amaze me. And the abilities that these heroes have make me jealous that I wasn’t born with a genetic disorder that allowed me to be indestructible. And then there’s the hilarious “30 Rock,” from the even more hilarious Tina Fey, who plays Liz Lemon, head writer of a sketch show who has to deal with her haughty boss while trying to keep her sanity and run a TV show at the same time.

The newer television shows of this fall season have been amazing as well at drawing the attention of the viewer. “Gossip Girl” tells the story of teenagers living on the Upper East Side (jealous!) and the trials and tribulations they go through as the sons and daughters of wealthy families. “Chuck” is about a computer geek who accidentally downloads government files into his brain, leaving his former college friend turned CIA agent to recruit him as a secret agent. It could happen.

These shows are what I feel audiences are looking for. They’re characters that you can relate to, and although you may not be a hero or live on Park Avenue, you can relate emotionally, and that’s something that’s been missing in the realm of television. Shows like “Friends” and “Sex and the City” and even “Seinfeld” did so well in helping the average American feel what they were feeling. But even though these shows can now be watched in syndication, it’s not the same. Kristen Perry, a junior public relations major, said “Both of those shows [‘Seinfeld’ and ‘Friends’] were the first sitcoms of their kind that had audience devotion for so many seasons. Now, it’s either reality or a show about doctors or lawyers. Not everyday people.” Yes there are plenty of fan bases, but I think most people miss having the ability to identify with a Chandler, a Rachel, a Kramer or an Elaine.