Wilson shines for women’s tennis at Quinnipiac Invitational

This past weekend, the Quinnipiac Invitational tennis tournament took place on the women’s side, and anyone who missed this tournament certainly missed some entertaining finishes, with QU players reaching the finals in both singles and doubles.

Quinnipiac sophomore Mary Wilson advanced to the finals in both Flight “A” of the singles and in the doubles when partnered with freshman Adrienne Markinson, but lost both times in competitive fashion. Wilson fell to UMBC’s Pascaline Cette 7-6 and 6-1 in the singles final. In doubles, she and Markinson were defeated by a pair of Binghamton freshmen, Anna Edelman and Lauren Bates, 8-3. Bates also won as a singles player, taking the title in the “B” bracket.

“As much as you prepare for an individual (player), you don’t prepare them for a team game,” Quinnipiac head coach Mike Quitko said about his team’s doubles play. “But everyone played tough tennis. I haven’t looked at the win-loss percentage lately, but I would be surprised if it wasn’t good.”

In the “B” singles bracket, Binghamton’s Bates won the Flight B bracket 4-6, 6-0, 10-5 over Rhode Island’s Christen Cadigan. However, Bobcat Adrienne Markinson pushed Bates to the limit in the quarterfinals, losing 6-4, 2-6, 10-8.

The combination of Bates and Edelman knocked two different Bobcat duos out of the “A” doubles bracket.

First, they swept Amanda Petruzzi and Jackie Herb 8-0 in the semifinals. Then in the finals, Wilson and Markison managed to take three games from the Binghamton pair, who had only lost one game through the first three rounds, but fell 8-3.

After a solid performance in the Invitational, coach Mike Quitko expects his team to keep building confidence and momentum.

“Our goal is to be number one in the conference,” Quitko said. “What’s considered good now won’t be in March. We’re on schedule, but we’ve still got a lot to learn and practice.”

The Bobcats look to improve on last weekend’s performance in two weeks at the Bucknell Quads, Oct. 5-7 in Lewisburg, Pa.