Men’s and women’s tennis shut out Sacred Heart

The Quinnipiac tennis teams dominated Sacred Heart despite a change of venue last Thursday.

The men and women both earned 7-0 shutout victories. The Bobcats won all 12 singles matches and six doubles matches on the day.

Poor weather moved the men’s match to Tennis Central in Woodbridge and the women’s match to the indoor courts of Quinnipiac’s athletic center.

For the women, seniors Gabby Pasternak and Danielle Rodriguez, junior Amanda Petruzzi, sophomore Jackie Herb and freshmen Mary Wilson and Shawna Sarson won their singles matches in two sets.

Doubles combinations of Wilson and Pasternak, Herb and Petruzzi and sophomore Nicole Adams also defeated the Pioneers.

Later that night in Woodbridge, the men completed an excellent day.

Seniors Michael Racioppo and Goldy Sherrill, junior Scott Salway, sophomore Thomas Curran as well as freshmen John Hughes and Charles Feldman swept their singles matches.

In doubles, Sherrill and senior Stefano Salvatore, Hughes and Feldman as well as Salway and Curran emerged victorious.

The conference win improved the women’s record to 8-5 overall and 3-0 in NEC play. The men moved 5-5 in dual match competition on the season and 2-1 in the NEC.

Both men’s and women’s tennis fell to Boston University 5-2 Saturday, but Sherrill won both his singles and doubles matches.

The ‘Cats returned to their winning ways Sunday when both teams dispatched Mount St. Mary’s, 7-0. It was the second shutout for the tennis program in four days.

Sherrill completed a 6-0 week for himself, while Pasternak won her match easily.

Quinnipiac tennis looks to continue it’s outstanding play at the NEC Championships Friday in West Windsor, N.J.

Both men’s and women’s tennis have won the NEC championship in the last three seasons and advanced to the NCAA tournament.