Student says farewell to Quinnipiac

Quinnipiac is heaven on Earth. From the moment I arrived here in August of 2002, I was skeptical toward the majesty of the next for years of my life. With help and support of my closest friends and professors, however, I was able to conquer many tests, papers, applications, projects,and other problems with great success. As I find myself writing my final piece for the Chronicle, I would like to impart some pieces of advice towards the student body, particularly the class of 2010, in hopes that they be able to make their college experience a fruitful one.

First, get out of your room! I can not emphasize this piece of advice any more strongly. When I first began my experience as a freshman, I often found myself watching television for hours on end within my dorm room, all the while knowing that my parents were not present to monitor me. However, once I finally came out of my shell and engaged in more activities on and off campus, I quickly discovered how rewarding this is. Frequently, I would walk around campus enjoying the pleasant weather, outgoing people and picturesque environment of Quinnipiac. No matter where I went on campus, there was always the presence of security and belonging. As I officially started going to Toads since last year, the sense of security was present even off campus. After four-and-a-half years, I now have perfect harmony not only on campus, but also in the state of Connecticut.

Second, get to know and make friends with fellow students.

Part of what made my college experience so wonderful for me was the fact that I got to build significant relationships with peers who would go on to become some of my best friends. What made Quinnipiac so wonderful was how the students on and off campus were always friendly toward me and never once were judgmental. I was always invited to join the fun and live life to the fullest. Whether it is a movie, party or meal, I enjoyed having the opportunity to get to know my fellow students and share experiences. Never once did I feel isolated from the student community and their kindness made my college experience richer.

Third, work hard and get to know your professors.

It is pretty much a given that all students should put their heart and soul into their papers and studying. However, you should put in just as big of an effort into getting to know and form meaningful relationships with your professors. Throughout these past few years, I had the honor of attending classes and working with many professors, such as Sean Duffy and Kenn Venit, who have given me plenty of knowledge and insight as I move forward after college. No matter what, never be afraid to ask your professors for help. They will always welcome you into their offices and advise you to the best of their ability. All they ask in return is that you put sufficient effort into their assignments.

Fourth, get involved!

Perhaps the greatest aspect of my college experience was being able to join and participate in many wonderful and beneficial organizations. However, it has been the Quinnipiac Chronicle and the Society of Professional Journalists that have given me exposure to the field of journalism as well as the first-hand-account of the reporting process. Thanks to professors Karin and Bill Schwanbeck and the Society of Professional Journalists, I have been able to develop a deep appreciation for journalism as I was granted several chances to attend conventions and engage in panel discussions as well as discussions with many professionals in the field. Thanks to writing for the Chronicle, I have been able to voice my opinions on different issues as well as further develop my writing style. Thus, being involved has been a great addition to my college experience and I implore you all to do the same in order to enhance yours.

Finally, I urge you all to make the most of your college experiences. Do your work and have fun at college. These four years will be the best part of your lives. Take advantage of this and meet and befriend many wonderful people, for college is meant to be a period of personal fulfillment. And, I finish by paraphrasing Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes by saying that you’ll have the time of your life, and you’ll owe it all to QU.