Volleyball team concludes tough season with home losses

The Quinnipiac women’s volleyball team came back from a 2-0 deficit to force a fifth game, but ultimately fell short, losing 3-2 to Sacred Heart University on Saturday afternoon at Burt Kahn Court.

The match was a back and forth battle, as each team had control for periods of time. Sacred Heart took the first two games of the match, 30-27 and 30-22. It looked as if the Pioneers had everything in their favor, but Quinnipiac fought back and won the next two games. The scores of the third and fourth games were 30-21 and 30-26, as the Bobcats forced the match into a fifth and deciding game. Sacred Heart came out early in the fifth game and seized control, jumping out to 5-1 lead. The Bobcats answered by scoring the next two points to close the margin to 5-3, but the Pioneers came back and ended the match on a 10-5 run to take the final game 15-8.

Despite the loss, Quinnipiac head coach Sue Medley was satisfied with her team’s effort.

“I was pleased with the intensity that we played with and what we were able to do offensively today,” Medley said. “We train really hard and I thought we translated that on the court today.”

Three Quinnipiac players recorded double-doubles, including Crista Valentino. She continued her season-long trend of posting career-highs by setting a new personal record of 17 kills, while adding 11 digs. Fellow sophomore Jenna Benigno recorded her seventh double-double of the season. It was also the tenth of her career, as Benigno had 13 kills and 25 assists.

The third Bobcat player that turned in a double-double was senior co-captain Stephanie Conde. In her second to last game for Quinnipiac, Conde set two new career-marks. She filled up the box score with personal bests in kills (13) and digs (11). Junior Stephanie Logan appreciated the performance her teammate Conde put forward in the match.

“She started in the front court just hitting and blocking and now she is in the back court digging balls all over the place and throwing herself around the court,” Logan said. “She is serving so well and playing great. She is having a great end to her career.”

Medley also recognized the growth Conde has shown in her final year with the Bobcats.

“You want a player to achieve a lot in their senior year and she’s worked hard and she’s doing it,” Medley said.

Quinnipiac got additional boosts from both junior Ashley Phillips and sophomore Erin Overdevest. Phillips led the Bobcats with 26 assists, while Overdevest controlled the dig category, executing a team-high 21 of them.

After the match against Sacred Heart, Logan summed up the team’s feelings on the co-captains.

“They are just two great people and really hard workers,” Logan said. “We are going to miss them a lot.”

The Quinnipiac volleyball team’s 20th season ended on Sunday at home with a 3-0 loss to Central Connecticut State University. Senior co-captains Ashley Angle and Conde were recognized before the match for their contributions to the program.

The Bobcats finished the season with a 1-30 record overall. Quinnipiac went 1-7 in Northeast Conference play and finished in eighth place. The top six teams qualify for the NEC postseason tourament, which Quinnipiac had qualified for in each of the past eight seasons.