Cross country ends year at NCAA Regionals

The Quinnipiac cross country team ended its season strongly at the NCAA Northeast Regional meet held at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx.

The men’s team placed 16th out of 28 teams in posting 450 points. The women finished 9th out of 37 teams with a score of 286 points.

Head cross country and track coach Shawn Green was pleased with his team’s effort.

“I think everybody gave everything they had today which is all you can ask,” he said.

The women’s team set a historical best with their 9th place finish. Women’s cross country had never placed higher than 14th at the NCAA regional level.

“I think the women’s performance exceeded our goals and expectations,” Green said.

Freshman Kristen Stevens led the women’s team placing 31st overall with a time of 22:27.3. This concludes a cross country season in which Stevens won both NEC athlete of the year and rookie of the year.

Freshman Lindsey Pierret was the next Bobcat female to cross the finish line 48th overall with a time of 22:48. Graduate student Jenna Nechamen and juniors Susan Ashe and Caitlin Brady finished 51st, 72nd and 84th respectively.

Junior Abbey Gosling finished 105th and senior Heather Hoffman finished 136th.

The presence of two freshmen finishing in the top 50 bodes well for the future of Quinnipiac women’s cross country.

“That certainly makes us very excited about the future,” Green said.

Boston College won the meet with a score of 82. Iona senior Salome Kosgei finished first overall with a time of 20:45.3.

Graduate student John Ciccarelli led the men’s team across the finish line with a 15th place finish in 32:16.3.

“That’s our highest finish ever for anyone at the regional meet,” Green said.

Graduate student Michael Charron was the second Bobcat and 72nd overall runner to finish the race. He posted a time of 33:47.3.

“I thought Mike Charron ran a good race,” Green said.

Sophomore Terence Moriarty, junior Jacob Gurzler, and sophomore Nicholas Rezendes rounded out the top five with finishes of 106th, 113th and 151st.

Graduate student Anthony Mio finished 169th and freshman Tyler Dinnan finished 187th.

Iona’s men posted the winning team score of 59. Martin Fagan of Providence finished first individually with a time of 30:40.7.

“Coach O’Connor and I are really happy for both our seniors and grad students that this was the way they got to go out,” Green said.

The indoor track season begins at Yale on Dec. 9.