Dancing through Burt Kahn

Senior Stephanie Azzarello and graduate student Alex Diaz dance during the annual Dancing with the QU Stars event.
[/media-credit] Senior Stephanie Azzarello and graduate student Alex Diaz dance during the annual Dancing with the QU Stars event.

The Frozen Four game didn’t stop the Quinnipiac Ballroom Society (QBS) and their professor counterparts from dancing the night away at the fifth annual Dancing with the QU Stars event Saturday night in Burt Kahn. The event raised $1,004 for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, despite taking place during the men’s ice hockey championship game, according to a press release.

Cystic Fibrosis is a life-threatening and genetic disease, according to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation’s official website.

“[It] causes persistent lung infections and progressively limits the ability to breathe,” the site stated.

Approximately 30,000 people in the United states and 70,000 people worldwide live with cystic fibrosis. Fifty percent of people are a carrier of the defective cystic fibrosis gene but do not have the disease itself. Furthermore, If two parents carry the cystic fibrosis gene, there is a twenty-five percent chance that their child will have cystic fibrosis.

Sophomore Nicole Antaya is one of the twenty-five percent who live with cystic fibrosis. She said she was grateful QBS could use its event to help promote awareness for the disorder.

“Living with [cystic fibrosis] is like you’re trying to live humanely with an inhumane disease,” she said in a speech. “I’m happy you guys are here to support this amazing cause.”

The competing pairs showed off their talents by performing to songs using dance moves such as the cha-cha and the swing. There was a large audience of students, staff and family members who watched the dancers show off their talents.

John Midy, who completed his graduate degree from the university last academic year, helped create this event five years ago and is happy that it is still thriving. He understands how much time and dedication the dancers put into this event.

“We’re very proud of them, we know that a lot of these professors worked very hard [to get] where they are right now.” Midy said, “Everyone’s nervous but they’re excited. I’m glad they continue to do this, hopefully it continues on for decades later.”

Freshman Rachel Montesano was one of the volunteers who helped organize the event and she said the event was a success.

“Everyone seemed really happy, the dancers worked really hard and it was just an overall good time,” she said.

The winning pair of Dancing with the QU Stars was meSH preceptor in the department of Clinical Sciences Allison Beitel and senior student and treasurer of QBS Amir Boone who danced the hustle to the song, “That’s the Way I Like It” by KC and the Sunshine Band.

For Boone, this year’s event was the best yet.

“I think the event came together really well. It took a lot to get everything all together,” he said. “Even though the game happened today, we still got a decent showing.”

One the other hand, the secretary of BDS Nick Manson says that while the event was successful, he hopes to make some improvement for next year.

“The only regret I have concerning the event is that I wish we didn’t have to compete with everyone because that definitely hurt the donation” he said, “I wish we were able to show more people just how fun and cool and interesting ballroom dancing really is.”