Volleyball team bounced from CCSU Blue Devil Invitational

The Quinnipiac women’s volleyball team rounded out a tough weekend at the CCSU Blue Devil Invitational with a marathon match that ended in a 3-2 shortcoming at the hands of the Hartford Hawks. Aside from that loss, the Bobcats dropped a match earlier in the day to Dartmouth, 3-0, and a contest on Friday to Central Connecticut, falling 3-0. With the trio of losses, the Bobcats fall to 0-13.

Jenna Benigno and Crista Valentino each registered double-doubles against Hartford. Benigno had 32 assists and 12 digs, while Valentino chipped in with 11 kills and 13 digs.

Earlier Saturday, the ‘Cats were downed by Dartmouth in a match that saw Benigno tally another double-double with 12 assists and 11 digs.

After the first set of the Dartmouth match, head coach Sue Medley was encouraged by what she saw from her squad.

“We came out with speed and aggressiveness in the first set,” she said. After that point, however, Medley said errors caught up with her team.

“Unfortunately, we took ourselves out of the game with our serving errors and our service receive errors,” she said. “That was the essence of the outcome of that match.”

Friday, the Quinnipiac squad was shut out by host team Central Connecticut. Erin Overdevest matched a career-high with 14 digs and Benigno chipped in with ten assists but the Bobcats weren’t able to overcome a strong start by the Blue Devils.

Although Quinnipiac came away from the Invitational winless, Benigno earned All-Tournament Team honors. Through four tournaments so far this season, she has been a member for the All-Tournament Team in three of them.