Sophomore arrested and charged for having weapons in his car

Sophomore Nicholas Pappas was arrested after Hamden police found weapons in his car, according to Hamden police.

Police received a complaint on Jan. 25 about a social media post that featured a student firing a handgun into the ground off campus.

The complaint led to an arrest warrant on Jan. 29, and Pappas was charged with four counts of having weapons in his car. Police confiscated a police baton, an automatic switchblade knife and two pairs of brass knuckles.

The university issued Pappas a suspension, according to Vice President for Public Affairs Lynn Bushnell.

“The student has been suspended from the university pending the outcome of his student conduct meeting,” Bushnell said in a statement. “We will always remove any individual whose actions threaten the safety and security of our community.”

Pappas was released from police custody after posting a $15,000 bond and is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 12.

UPDATE (5:37 p.m.): Here is a video The Chronicle obtained from a students’ Snapchat story, which shows Pappas firing a gun in his car.

Correction: The Chronicle originally reported that the video came from Pappas’ Snapchat story. The video of Pappas is from another student’s Snapchat story.

Stay with The Chronicle for updates.