Adjunct professor passes away

Adjunct professor passes away

[media-credit name=”Quinnipiac University” align=”alignright” width=”200″]Cheryl Wahl[/media-credit]

Cheryl Wahl, an adjunct professor who taught history and First-Year Seminar, passed away on Dec. 14 after a battle with cancer. Wahl, 47, taught at Quinnipiac for 10 years.

Wahl, was diagnosed with colorectal cancer on Feb. 8, 2011.

She attended Southern Connecticut State University and City University in New York City for her post-graduate degree, according to her obituary. She also taught at Post University.

“Cheryl will be remembered by students and colleagues as a generous and kind person and as a valued member of the College of Arts and Sciences community,” Robert Smart, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, said in a MyQ Announcement.

Head of the History Department Jill Fehleison noticed Wahl’s hard work and dedication to her students.

“I was always impressed with how much time and effort Cheryl Wahl put into helping her students with their writing,” she said. “She guided them every step of the way through outlines, drafts and the final paper. Her care for and commitment to Quinnipiac students will be missed.”

History professor David Valone said Wahl had a true passion for history.

“During the time I Was chair of the history department from 2006 to 2012, I know she put great effort into her teaching,” he said. “She made a real effort to help her students not only to learn about and understand the past, but also improve their writing and critical thinking skills. She was a wonderful colleague and a kind and generous person. She will be very much missed.”

The services for Wahl will be held at The Wallingford Funeral Home on Sunday, Dec. 20 from 1-4 p.m., followed by a short memorial service at 4 p.m. In lieu of flowers, the family asks that donations be made in Cheryl’s name to the PAN Foundation, which provides grants to assist cancer patients with medical expenses.

UPDATE: This post was updated to include statements from the Head of the History Department Jill  Fehleison and history professor David Valone.