Gwyther and McKay each earn All-American honors

Quinnipiac University has so far had a successful campaign in its seventh year after it made the leap into Division I. The university has produced its first two female All-Americans. In November, Katie Gwyther and Erin McKay were both honored as Division I All-Americans.

Gwyther earned her honor after leading the cross country team and McKay earned hers after leading the field hockey team. Both student-athletes are seniors who have worked hard over their four years to become the best athletes and students they could possibly be.

Gwyther was named an All-American after finishing 12th at the NCAA Championships hosted by Indiana State on Nov. 21. She finished the 6,000-meter course in 20:05.05 and beat out 241 of the 253 runners who competed in the event.

Some of her best performances this season include winning the NEC championship for the second year in a row, placing fourth at the Northeast Regional and breaking her own course record at the Quinnipiac Invitational.

Gwyther had many great individual performances, but she points to winning the team’s first NEC championship as her proudest moment this year. This championship was important to Gwyther because it showed the strides that the team has made since her freshman year, when they finished in seventh.

Gwyther hopes to pursue a professional running career and her passion for running is evident.

“I might be living in a box, but as long as I have a good pair of running shoes, I’ll be OK,” Gwyther said.

After another season as one of the top goaltenders in the nation, McKay was named an All-American. McKay finished her senior season with a 1.40 goals-against average and a save percentage of .786.

Along with being named an All-American, McKay was named to the All-Conference team and the First-Team Mideast Region All-American.

McKay first began playing field hockey with her friend Lauren when she was in the second grade when they used Lauren’s older sister’s equipment. McKay began suiting up to play in sixth grade and soon joined the Futures Developmental Program.

As a team, the Bobcats finished with a record of 9-10 in a vastly improved NEC. The team faced tough competition this season as they competed against teams like Syracuse and Sacred Heart.

When asked about her most memorable moment of the season, McKay did not hesitate to mention the team’s first game on the new turf field. McKay was thrilled to get the opportunity to play on it for a year.

McKay hopes to continue her career in field hockey as she will take the first step toward gaining a spot on the U.S. National Team on Feb. 18.