Student assaulted during move in

A 19-year-old moving company employee was arrested for being accused of assaulting a Quinnipiac student during move in, according to FoxCT.

The employee, Sunday Okoro, shoved the female student and knocked her to the ground, the Hamden Police Department told FoxCT. The student did not sustain any serious injuries, according to Vice President for Public Affairs Lynn Bushnell.

Department of Public Safety officers detained the man until Hamden Police arrived on campus and charged Okoro with third-degree assault, breach of peace and second-degree unlawful restraint.

Bushnell praised the Public Safety officers who quickly responded to the incident.

“The university would like to recognize the swift response of the university’s Public Safety Department, which resulted in the suspect being subdued shortly after the incident occurred and held until the Hamden Police Department arrived to arrest him,” Bushnell said in a statement.

Hamden Police held Okoro on a $2,500 bail.
Okoro has a Sept. 3 court date at the Meriden Courthouse. Stay with The Chronicle for updates.

CORRECTION: This article incorrectly stated that Okoro was arrested on Sunday, but he was arrested on a different day. The article was updated on August 23 at 1 p.m. to reflect this.

UPDATE 3 pm:This article was updated to clarify that Okoro was arrested for being accused of assaulting the student.