Beyond the Bobcats

ISIS burns hostage in video

The terrorist organization ISIS released a new video Tuesday where it burned a Jordanian pilot alive, according to USA Today. ISIS captured the pilot Muath al-Kaseasbeh in December after his plane went down in Syria. Jordanian television reported ISIS actually burned al-Kaseasbeh on Jan. 3. ISIS promised to kill the pilot last week if Jordan did not release an Iraqi woman responsible for bombing hotels in Jordan. This is the first time ISIS has burned a hostage alive. In the past the organization has released videos of beheading or shooting its captives.

Veteran suicide prevention bill sent to D.C.

The Senate unanimously passed a bill on Tuesday for veteran suicide prevention. Connecticut Democratic Sen. Richard Blumenthal drafted the bill with Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain. in hopes to decrease the risk of suicide among veterans, according to the New Haven Register. Federal offices estimate that 22 U.S. veterans commit suicide daily. The suicide prevention bill will review Department of Veteran Affairs suicide prevention services, bring more psychiatrists to VA hospitals and increase outreach to military veterans.

Harper Lee to publish “Mockingbird” sequel

Author Harper Lee announced Tuesday that she will publish a sequel to her Pulitzer Prize-winning novel “To Kill a Mockingbird.” The sequel, titled “Go Set a Watchman,” was written more than 50 years ago but was never published, according to the Washington Post. The 88 year-old author said she came up with the idea for “Go Set a Watchman” before writing “To Kill a Mockingbird,” but her first idea fell through after her editor asked her to rewrite the original manuscript. The sequel is set to be published this summer. Lee plans to publish 2 million copies of the novel.