Price reaches top of ladder

Leandra Price has been playing soccer since the age of five. Growing up in Bridgewater-Raritan, N.J., she played soccer for all four years in high school. Running a little behind in the recruiting process, Price chose to go to Quinnipiac because of its Athletic Training Program and because it was a Division I soccer school. Head coach David Clarke told her she could try out, but that there was no guarantee. Four years later, Price has just finished her senior year as the team captain and the leading goal-scorer.

Known to her teammates as “Lilo,” Price has scored seven goals on the year, including four on Oct. 21 against Robert Morris. She went from a practice squad-only player her freshman year to an everyday contributor during her junior and senior seasons. She came to the school just hoping that she could play, and is leaving it with lasting memories.

“Dave told me that he already had a full squad, but he told me that I could just practice with them if I wanted to,” Price said. “I just love to play the game. Just practicing was good enough for me at first.”

With the passion for soccer inside of her, Price worked hard and listened to what her coach was telling her to get better at. She improved her strength, finishing and touches, improving her game each year. During her sophomore season, she appeared in seven games and dished out two assists. As a junior, Price played in every game and finished second on the team in points with three goals and four assists. This season, she has emerged as the go-to-guy at forward.

“I’ve had better players, maybe harder workers, but no one has improved as dramatically as her,” Clarke said. “She’ll be missed, and I hope in the future that there will be more players just like her.”

Price had set out just hoping to play. After practicing with the team her first year, her confidence started to grow, and she wanted to prove to herself that she belonged. Three years later, after being named the captain and becoming the most successful walk-on in the program’s history, it is pretty clear that she belonged here.

“My goal wasn’t really to show other people I could play,” Price said. “I just wanted to play and all in all have had a great four years.”

So what is Price going to do now that her Bobcat soccer days are over?

“I’m going to try and play soccer in some other leagues once I graduate,” Price said.