Men’s soccer falls at home for first time

The Quinnipiac men’s soccer team took the field looking to remain undefeated at home last Wednesday. But they ran into the Adelphi University Panthers, who had lost eight of their last nine games and were looking to turn their season around.

The Bobcats were looking to end the non-conference portion of their schedule with a win and gain some momentum before they faced Central Connecticut State in the first league game on Sunday. The Bobcats did not get the win they wanted and Adelphi ended its five-game losing streak with a 2-0 win.

The first half was mostly a defensive battle, with both sides having numerous opportunities. Finally, in the 33rd minute, the Bobcats’ offense came alive. They had a flurry of shots and looked like they were going to break the scoreless tie, but were denied by the Panthers’ defense.

The Panthers cleared the ball and executed a perfect counter attack ending with a goal in the 40th minute by Marin Filipovic. The second half was very similar to the first. Both sides had numerous opportunities, but the Panthers were the only team to find the back of the net. The goal was scored in the 60th minute by Stephen Fregosi.

Even after the home loss, the Bobcats’ record at home is 3-1. The team attributes its success to the fans.

“Crowd support has been great here,” head coach Eric Da Costa said. “We are proud of our program and want to create a buzz around campus.

We know we have to put on a good show.”

Da Costa and his team traveled to Central Connecticut State on Sunday to open league play. Last year, Central was a tough team and Da Costa does not expect anything less this year.

“Without question, Central will be a tough match, especially on the road,” Da Costa said. “Traditionally there has been bad blood between the two programs; matches have been physical, aggressive and hard fought from whistle to whistle. It will be a dogfight. We have to play for each other and have a greater desire to win than they do.”

The Bobcats defeated Central Connecticut 2-1. Freshman Graciano Brito scored in the 20th minute to give Quinnipiac the early lead.

The Blue Devils answered a minute into the second half, but junior Francis Mavula scored the game-winning goal in the 85th minute for the Bobcats. Senior Ken Lewis made six saves in goal for Quinnipiac.