Developing story: Senior dies of ‘sudden illness’

Katherine Vashon, a Quinnipiac University senior, died from “a sudden illness” on Friday, Oct. 14 in the Hospital of St. Raphael in New Haven, according to a university e-mail.

Dean of Students Manuel Carreiro wrote, “It is with great sadness that I inform you that Katherine A. Vashon passed away from a sudden illness on Friday, October 14, 2005 in the Hospital of St. Raphael. Katie was majoring in Public Relations and was from Hermon, Maine. There are no words to adequately express our sympathy for the profound loss for Katie’s family and friends. We extend our prayers and condolences.”

The e-mail sent to faculty, staff and undergraduate students continued, “Counselors, student affairs professionals, and residence hall staff will be available to assist students and others who may seek counseling. If you need assistance at anytime, please contact the Residence Hall Director on-duty through Security at 582-8200. Also, you may contact the Counseling Center, Monday – Friday at 582-8680.”

“The university extends its sincerest condolences to Katherine’s family,” John W. Morgan, university spokesman said.

“She was a well-liked student whose presence on campus will be sorely missed by her many friends, professors and classmates,” Morgan continued. “While at the university, she was a dean’s list student who was active in Phi Sigma Sigma. She also was a student worker in the Sports Information Department in Athletics where for the last two years, she was recognized for being the ‘most valuable player’ at the annual Athletics and Recreation Awards ceremony.”

There will be a Catholic Service, Sunday at 6:00 pm in the Gym offered in Katie’s memory.

Be sure to check QUChronicle.com regularly for more details as they become available.