University to close after 1 p.m.

University to close after 1 p.m.

The university will close at 1 p.m. today, according to a university alert. All university offices will close and all classes at 1 p.m. or later will be cancelled.

The Hamden and New Haven Town and Train shuttles are cancelled today, due to the inclement weather, according to Chief of Public Safety David Barger. Shuttle service between the Mount Carmel campus, York Hill and Whitney Village will continue until midnight.

It’s policy for the university to remain open under “adverse weather conditions such as snowstorms” in order to “meet its responsibilities to all its students,” according to a MyQ announcement.

“On rare occasions, classes may be canceled or postponed because of weather conditions,” the MyQ announcement said. “Even more rarely, the entire university may temporarily close. It is ultimately the responsibility of the individual to determine whether travel is safe to and from the campus.”

The university expects professors to hold classes when the university is open. Faculty and staff who feel it is not safe for them to travel due to the weather may choose to cancel class, but they must tell their supervisors, chair and dean if they plan to use their personal or vacation time.

“All employees that are deemed essential staff are required to report to work regardless of school closings.”

Stay with The Chronicle for updates.